• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question What is the biggest Eagle in the world (1 Viewer)

I think It would still depend on what you are looking for or how you define the meaning of Largest or Biggest? Largest in size or weight as there are no consensus of which parameters to use in determining the Largest eagle in the world. Because these eagles are adapted to different environment and evolved to the way they are now, some are in cold harsh weather and others in thick humid forests.

Considered as the 3 largest eagles:

Stellers sea eagle - the Heaviest eagle averaging 15-20 lb with the longest wing span up to 2.5 meter long.

Philippine eagle - weight average for female 15.5-18 lb the Tallest, longest could reached up to 112 cm long from tip to tip with the largest wing-surface area.

Harpy eagle - Bulkiest eagle females averaging 16-18 lb with the longest hind talon up to 13 cm long

Last edited:
Stellers sea eagle - the Heaviest eagle averaging 15-20 lb with the longest wing span up to 2.5 meter long.
Philippine eagle - weight average for female 15.5-18 lb the Tallest, longest could reached up to 112 cm long from tip to tip with the largest wing-surface area.
Harpy eagle - Bulkiest eagle females averaging 16-18 lb with the longest hind talon up to 13 cm long

Thinking laterally, and perhaps literally, you could all be wrong!

Consider the Double-headed Imperial Eagle atop the Transfiguration Cathedral in St Petersburg in Russia. Unless, of course, you know something larger...
MJB

Thinking laterally, and perhaps literally, you could all be wrong!

Consider the Double-headed Imperial Eagle atop the Transfiguration Cathedral in St Petersburg in Russia. Unless, of course, you know something larger...
MJB

I think NOT...Is it Bigger than this Philippine eagle in Davao City, Philippines?! :-O

Attachments

• davao-city.jpg
    davao-city.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 474
Having seen the skins at the Natural History annex at Tring whilst assisting in re-classification, and had experience of the real (live) thing, I am in no doubt in my mind that the Stellers is the largest by measurement but the average Harpy is the heavier and much more powerful with the Monkey-eating Eagle a close second to the Harpy in this respect.

Last edited:
Steller's sea-eagle lag behind in most measurement to the Harpy and Philippine eagles! Steller's eagle has the longest wingspan coz' It's a soaring eagle but with a shorter tail, legs and claws than the Harpy and Philippine eagles. It's the heaviest! It lives on a harsh cold weather environment and needs to beef-up in fat by eating salmon to store more fat to be able to survive the cold-weather.

In comparison to the prey items by the Harpy and Philippine eagles; Some say It's a toss-up between the two, for me I would say that the Philippine eagle is more powerful than the Harpy eagle.

Largest Documented prey items taken in the wild (found in their nest)

Harpy eagle

17 lb Two-toed sloth
15 lb howler monkey

Philippine eagle

9 kg large male macaque
30 lb Cervus deer
Large snakes such as python and cobras

Philippine eagles documented prey items:
Monkeys, flying lemurs, palm civet, Giant cloud rats, Monitor lizards, large snakes, large birds, deer, small dogs and pigs.

Nevertheless the Philippine and Harpy Eagles are considered the Largest and most Powerful eagles in the world.

Ref:http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36845&highlight=strongest+eagle&page=6

Last edited:
Steller's sea-eagle lag behind in most measurement to the Harpy and Philippine eagles! Steller's eagle has the longest wingspan coz' It's a soaring eagle but with a shorter tail, legs and claws than the Harpy and Philippine eagles. It's the heaviest! It lives on a harsh cold weather environment and needs to beef-up in fat by eating salmon to store more fat to be able to survive the cold-weather.

In comparison to the prey items by the Harpy and Philippine eagles; Some say It's a toss-up between the two, for me I would say that the Philippine eagle is more powerful than the Harpy eagle.

Largest Documented prey items taken in the wild (found in their nest)

Harpy eagle

17 lb Two-toed sloth
15 lb howler monkey

Philippine eagle

9 kg large male macaque
30 lb Cervus deer
Large snakes such as python and cobras

Philippine eagles documented prey items:
Monkeys, flying lemurs, palm civet, Giant cloud rats, Monitor lizards, large snakes, large birds, deer, small dogs and pigs.

Nevertheless the Philippine and Harpy Eagles are considered the Largest and most Powerful eagles in the world.

Ref:http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36845&highlight=strongest+eagle&page=6

The questioner asked which is the worlds largest eagle. I say the Steller's to which you seem to confirm in wingspan and weight. I would add overall length but, as you state, there are other measurements where large forest eagles are superior, more especially power, however the largest remains the Steller's.

I think It would still depend on what you are looking for or how you define the meaning of Largest or Biggest? Largest in size or weight as there are no consensus of which parameters to use in determining the Largest eagle in the world. Because these eagles are adapted to different environment and evolved to the way they are now, some are in cold harsh weather and others in thick humid forests.

I have already answered the Question!

Steller's sea-eagle on average is the heaviest 15-20 lb and not the Harpy eagle.

In Zoology the heaviest specie is considered the largest so I guess your right!

Steller's sea-eagle is the world largest eagle.

Just found these two, recently published papers. They list some individual body masses for the harpy and philippine eagle.
The full titles are:

Effect of Sex and Age at Release on the Independence of Hacked Harpy Eagles
Edwin Campbell-Thompson, F. Hernán Vargas, Richard T. Watson, Angel Muela, and Nilton C. Cáceres
Journal of Raptor Research Jun 2012 : Vol. 46, Issue 2, pg(s) 158-167 doi: 10.3356/JRR-10-74.1

Philippine Eagle Pitecophaga jefferyi breeding biology, diet, behavior, nest characteristics, and longevity estimate in Mindanao island (A Thesis Presented to the Faculty of the Graduate School Ateneo de Davao University, Davao City) by Jayson C. Ibaňez

Attachments

• harpy.jpg
    harpy.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 371
  • philippine eagle.jpg
    philippine eagle.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Just found these two, recently published papers. They list some individual body masses for the harpy and philippine eagle.
The full titles are:

Effect of Sex and Age at Release on the Independence of Hacked Harpy Eagles
Edwin Campbell-Thompson, F. Hernán Vargas, Richard T. Watson, Angel Muela, and Nilton C. Cáceres
Journal of Raptor Research Jun 2012 : Vol. 46, Issue 2, pg(s) 158-167 doi: 10.3356/JRR-10-74.1

Philippine Eagle Pitecophaga jefferyi breeding biology, diet, behavior, nest characteristics, and longevity estimate in Mindanao island (A Thesis Presented to the Faculty of the Graduate School Ateneo de Davao University, Davao City) by Jayson C. Ibaňez

Philippine eagle seems heavier than harpy eagle not just bigger in physical dimensions such as in length and height and wing surface area.

Is anyone has new data on Steller's sea eagle ?

Last edited:
1.The largest ones are harpy and philippines.(I think philippines are larger)
2.The heaviest is the steller's sea eagle.
3.The largest wingspan is the martial eagle.(I'm not that sure)

Largest Eagles in the World

Here are lists of the top five eagles going on weight, length and, lastly, wingspan. Unless otherwise noted via reference, the figures listed are the median reported for each measurement in the guide Raptors of the World (Ferguson-Lees, et al.), in which only measurements that could be personally verified by the authors were listed.

Note: They could be measured variously in total length, body mass or wingspan. Different lifestyle needs among various eagles result in variable measurements from species to species. For example, many forest-dwelling eagles, including the very large Harpy and Philippine Eagles, have relatively short wingspans, a feature necessary for being able to maneuver in quick, short bursts through dense forested habitats. On the other hand, eagles in the genus Aquila are found almost strictly in open country, are superlative soarers, and have relatively long wings for their size.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle

Data Comparison

Attachments

• Data.jpg
    Data.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 565
The list itself is a subjective thing......really its all how you look at each sub species of eagle. Every fan of one particular sub specie can claim they should be the biggest or baddest but in reality as soon as they made the statement someone who is a fan of another sub specie would chime in with "oh no mine is bigger and here is why" and next thing you know you are in a full blown fight over who's is bigger lol if you will excuse the pun.
The truth be known there are 3 sub species that year after year produce the biggest and the Harpy,Stellar Sea and Philippine.
Each can claim they have had some within their own group that were truly abnormally large but in the end its how often they can produce such offspring. Evolution will take care of the rest if man can keep from altering its feeding cycles and habitat.
I my self having been lucky enough to have actually been around all 3 sub species can say from just based on my own personal observations the Harpy Eagle is one that stands out to me but I have seen and handled far more of them than the other two.
They are all in danger based on habitat loss or altered prey numbers.....we need to remember these are birds of PREY they rely on other prey species to feed their young and themselves.....birds of prey more than any other is as deeply bothered by the ups and downs of its food.....its entire life cycle is based on how much prey is available through out its life cycle. More importantly is how it changes its growth through evolving.....were they all to enjoy years of a huge upswing in numbers of prey available they would change or evolve....one thing having just as much of an impact could being forced by outside forces to switch prey type to survive.....this also will force natures hand to compensate for the increase or decrease in size of an individual based simply on size to catch bigger or smaller prey. If they need to get smaller and quicker to catch prey they will through natural selection but likewise it can go the other way.....say an eagle that was used to catching prey the size of monkeys suddenly had to switch to having only small or medium size deer as prey......likewise only the biggest within that group would flourish and survive.
So in the end its all relative to a lot of factors......not just what is the biggest but which can not only survive the changes in the future but flourish in those changes. Makes you see things in a whole new light for sure.

Last edited:
Largest eagle

Well most of these eagles are opportunistic hunter esp. Forest eagles regardless the size of the prey they will take what is vulnerable and available to the area they lived in Female eagles tends to be bigger, stronger than their male counter part and can take bigger, heavier prey, experts say its because the female is the one whose tending the nest and incubate the eggs, feeds their young which mean she stays longer in the nest during the gestation period it can protect the nest better than the male from predators and other eagles or birds of prey while the male is the one who provides the food needed to sustain their young and the mother eagle, It's smaller but more agile than the female to enable him to hunt smaller but faster prey to ensure continuous supply of food to the nest.
It will always be debatable of which eagle is truly the biggest and it depends on how you appreciate the meaning of "biggest" or "largest" in body size such length, height, weight and wingspan? These eagles had evolved differently and in different weather condition some are in humid hot forested area while others are in cold harsh environment like the Steller's sea eagle it needs to beef up on fat to survive the cold harsh winter. Some eagles have a short wing span for their body size like the forest eagles while other have a longer wing span but smaller body size than the forest eagles so I guess you cannot really compare them to one another for they evolved differently and had specialized living to the area they are in now.

Largest eagle

Well most of these eagles are opportunistic hunter esp. Forest eagles regardless the size of the prey they will take what is vulnerable and available to the area they lived in Female eagles tends to be bigger, stronger than their male counter part and can take bigger, heavier prey, experts say its because the female is the one whose tending the nest and incubate the eggs, feeds their young which mean she stays longer in the nest during the gestation period it can protect the nest better than the male from predators and other eagles or birds of prey while the male is the one who provides the food needed to sustain their young and the mother eagle, It's smaller but more agile than the female to enable him to hunt smaller but faster prey to ensure continuous supply of food to the nest.
It will always be debatable of which eagle is truly the biggest and it depends on how you appreciate the meaning of "biggest" or "largest" in body size such length, height, weight and wingspan? These eagles had evolved differently and in different weather condition some are in humid hot forested area while others areu in cold harsh environment like the Steller's sea eagle it needs to beef up on fat to survive the cold harsh winter. Some eagles have a short wing span for their body size like the forest eagles while other have a longer wing span but smaller body size than the forest eagles so I guess you cannot really compare them to one another for it will always be SUBJECTIVE coz' they evolved differently and had specialized living to the area they are in now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back