• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (4 Viewers)

A visit to Son Real at the hide drinking pool yesterday produced Hawfinch, Crossbill, Song Thrush, Blackcap, Black Redstart, Blackbird, Chiff-chaff, Greenfinch, Robin, Great Tit, Hoopoe.
Clive

Attachments

• Crossbill_4502.jpg
    Crossbill_4502.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Crossbill_4596.jpg
    Crossbill_4596.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Hawfinch_4499.jpg
    Hawfinch_4499.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Hawfinch_4511.jpg
    Hawfinch_4511.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Song Thrush_4620.jpg
    Song Thrush_4620.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 51
Philip had a good day out yesterday with Phil at Albufera, 78 species including both male and female Hen Harrier, Greater flamingo, Bluethroat and Fieldfare.
Big storm today so I will have a good scoot round the Island when it settles.
Mike

Last edited:
Having been given so many remedies for this heavy cold doing the rounds, I chose to ignore them all and go to the lighthouse for some seawatching.
There was a pretty violent storm last night and still a stiff breeze this afternoon but 186 Balearic shearwaters cheered me up.
It’s always a joy to watch them flying fast and wheeling over the tops of the waves.
That was the best remedy I reckon.
Mike

A second storm ripped through Mallorca yesterday with a wind speed of over 140kph being recorded near Bunyola.
The weather has now returned to sunny and warm and some good birds were seen around the coast including Razorbill, Red-breasted merganser and Larus fuscus.
I was hoping to do a seawatch today but I will have a good look tomorrow, visitors prevented a day out today but I did manage to get Goldcrest on my garden list.
Mike

Just to wish everyone on this forum a Happy & Healthy (bird-filled) Chistmas and New Year.

Martin

Attachments

• Xmas 2019 web.jpg
    Xmas 2019 web.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 65
Thank you Martin, the same to you and all other followers if this thread.
Nice photo too, a walk to my local park this morning, 20 degrees and still brimming with Goldcrests.
All the best to everyone,
Mike

Another beautiful day with sunshine all day and 20 degrees of warmth.
Lots of butterflies around today, mainly Speckled Wood, and there are even bats flying around our apartment this evening.
I saw Mistle Thrush this morning and many local raptors in the sky to keep the birding spirits up during these quiet times.
Lots more Balearic shearwaters have been appearing and Dolphins have been putting on a good show of late.
Mike

Nice photo too. All the best to everyone,
Mike

It's the view looking inland from our Christmas holiday cottage on the banks of the River Nith, just south of Dumfries. So lots of Barnacle Geese, some Pink-footed, Whooper Swan, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Goldeneye, Goosander, Shelduck, Buzzard and Red Kite.
At Caerlavrock WWT yesterday stunning cluse views of a female othher with two well-grown cubs - down to about 2mtrs - brilliant!

It’s been an eventful day to say the least.
News came through early this morning of a Red-footed boobie in Palma bay and a photo was posted of a possible Slender-billed Curlew up north. I didn’t reckon the Curlew looked right so I decided to go for the Boobie.
I took the kids down the port for a final drink before taking them to the airport. I parked the car and when I returned, my daughter said she had seen a strange bird hovering over the reeds.
They had taken a photo of what looks suspiciously like a Penduline tit, a species I have never seen before.
After dropping them off, I drove flat-out to Palma, scanned the sea for a considerable time before I got a message to say that today is the day of the innocents..April fool’s day.
Despite mentioning this only a few posts ago, I have managed to fall for it for the fifth year.
Even I am astonished at the level of stupidity I am capable of.
I will be down the port in the morning but in the meantime, any comments would be welcome from this very poor phone shot.
Mike

Attachments

• D8541570-DC14-47D1-BF95-DD9A6B9ECCB0.jpeg
    D8541570-DC14-47D1-BF95-DD9A6B9ECCB0.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
If it makes you feel better Mike I fell for the Red-flanked Bluetail which was also reported, I've lived in the Balearics for 35 years, so no excuse for me......:-C
On another note a couple of days ago I went up to Orient, great few hours birding with at least 20 Fieldfare, 6 Redwing, loads of Hawfinch and a flock of Siskin. This area is totally underwatched. Dipped on Brambling though. Not going to make it into the 200 species club this year..

That bird in the photo has a certain "Lanius" look..

It’s been an eventful day to say the least.
News came through early this morning of a Red-footed boobie in Palma bay and a photo was posted of a possible Slender-billed Curlew up north. I didn’t reckon the Curlew looked right so I decided to go for the Boobie.
I took the kids down the port for a final drink before taking them to the airport. I parked the car and when I returned, my daughter said she had seen a strange bird hovering over the reeds.
They had taken a photo of what looks suspiciously like a Penduline tit, a species I have never seen before.
After dropping them off, I drove flat-out to Palma, scanned the sea for a considerable time before I got a message to say that today is the day of the innocents..April fool’s day.
Despite mentioning this only a few posts ago, I have managed to fall for it for the fifth year.
Even I am astonished at the level of stupidity I am capable of.
I will be down the port in the morning but in the meantime, any comments would be welcome from this very poor phone shot.
Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back