• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young birds (Southeast of Turkey) (1 Viewer)

sgokce

Hi everyone,
My birder friend took these photos at a trip at the southeast of Turkey. They are young birds. Can u help us to identify them please? Thank u for your help in advance.

Attachments

• a11.jpg
    a11.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3490a.JPG
    IMG_3490a.JPG
    568.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3486a.JPG
    IMG_3486a.JPG
    465.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3484a.JPG
    IMG_3484a.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3372a.JPG
    IMG_3372a.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 68
#1 - not sure which wheatear it is (best guess Finsch's), but it's a moulting adult male, not a young bird :t:

#3 is a juvenile [Common] Rock Thrush Monticola saxatilis.

an exact date (week is enough) and more exact location would help.
first is a tatty moulting adult male wheatear, looks like pleschanka to me but i'm abs. not sure.
2nd looks like a juvenile shore lark (Eremophila alpestris, so, on location ssp penicillata)
3 is a juvenile -> moulting rock thrush
4 wheatear sp (Oenanthe sp.) which i'm absolutely not sure of.
5 looks like a moulting adult Acrocephalus arundinaceus

an exact date (week is enough) and more exact location would help.
first is a tatty moulting adult male wheatear, looks like pleschanka to me but i'm abs. not sure.
2nd looks like a juvenile shore lark (Eremophila alpestris, so, on location ssp penicillata)
3 is a juvenile -> moulting rock thrush
4 wheatear sp (Oenanthe sp.) which i'm absolutely not sure of.
5 looks like a moulting adult Acrocephalus arundinaceus

Agree with all and would add a little more confidence concerning No. 1 being a male Pied Wheatear. No. 4 to looks like a female Eastern Black-eared but far from sure...

It would be interesting to know where the Pied Wheatear in no.1 was seen, as I don't think Pied is that regular in Turkey.

No.4 could be Eastern Black-eared, but I wouldn't like to rule out Pied altogether (although it seems to lack the usual scaliness), especially if seen in the same location as no.1.

I asked to my friend.

Photo 1: Göbeklitepe ancient city in Şanlıurfa
Photo 4: Near the huge antic statues where is at the top of Nemrut mountain in Adıyaman

Şanlıurfa and Adıyaman cities are both at the southeast of Turkey.

It would be interesting to know where the Pied Wheatear in no.1 was seen, as I don't think Pied is that regular in Turkey.

No.4 could be Eastern Black-eared, but I wouldn't like to rule out Pied altogether (although it seems to lack the usual scaliness), especially if seen in the same location as no.1.

I remember seeing Pied Wheatear unexpectedly at Durnalik (close to Gaziantep), back in 1993. I must check their distribution. I was looking for Kurdish Wheatears but didn't find them.

Nemrut Dagi is also a well-known Kurdish Wheatear site - I went there too in 1993 but never saw them. No.4 doesn't look like a juvenile of the species though (the last image on this blog page shows one): http://rothandb.blogspot.com/2011/08/nemrut-dagi.html.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back