• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Thanks Mike, I have been to Son Real many times and have never come across a hide. Sounds very promising. I will contact you when I arrive to see if we can meet.

Thanks Mike, I have been to Son Real many times and have never come across a hide. Sounds very promising. I will contact you when I arrive to see if we can meet.
Neither have I! Amazing what one can miss - I must go back and check!!
Martin

There is a sign to the right of the walk with a pair of binoculars painted on which shows which track to take. It's an amazing place, just another one of Mallorca's hidden gems. Mike

I went to Porto Colom this morning briefly but it was very windy. I feel sure that regular sea watching would pay dividends as there must be some good birds out there. Punta de n'Amer on the east coast is a very good place indeed and is seriously under watched. The passage of Shearwaters can be amazing with thousands of Scopoli's and Balearics going by. Mike

More Hawfinch and Siskins seen at the first hide Son Real today but sadly no further sign of the Bullfinch so far. I will be going back in the next couple of days. Mike

Three Sandwich Terns fishing in my local port was a bit of a surprise this morning, I have never seen them here before. Very high winds may have displaced them. Mike

I didn't know Martin. Sandwich Terns do winter on the north coast, Cala Gamba is good, but I have never seen them in the south let alone from my balcony! Mike

Happy New Year

Hi Mike

Wishing you and all your readers a Great Birding Year 2016!

Hope your health improves this year.

Back in the wonderful Island looking forward to the next Big Year.

Thanks to Pep and the GOB for safeguarding the birding here.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I hope to see you sometime, we are going to the main reserve at Albufera this Friday.
I agree that thanks are due to Pep, Maties and all the local birders and the G.O.B. for working so hard to preserve as much of this beautiful Island as possible. Mike

Two ringtail Hen Harriers and a splendid male Merlin seen from the platform at the depuradora, Albufera. The Starling roost is still mighty impressive.
Reasonable amounts of Northern Gannet are still being seen from the coastal watch points.
Still some Alpine Accentors around the mirador on the road to Formentor. Thanks Max for all the information. Mike

Due to the consistent warm and sunny weather, many wild flowers are out now. Also quite a lot of blossom around, the whole Island is a picture and it will only get better over the coming weeks. Anybody due to visit Mallorca soon is in for a real treat. Mike

Hoping to visit Peurto Pollensa in the spring.
Interested in birds and orchids, is the a period in
March or April when I could see both orchids and migrant birds?

Thanks
Gordon

Hi Gordon
There are many species of Orchid here but they all flower at different times so whenever you come, some will be in bloom.
Migrant birds begin appearing as early as February but the peak period is the end of April and early May.
Hope this helps, an Orchid expert used to post on this forum but I have not heard from her in a while which is a shame as she was very helpful with times and likely species.
Good luck. Mike

Albufereta - New Tower

Still a pain to park around the southern site due to the land construction and new pipes etc. But worth it.

Wonderful tower with great view over the site.

Seen today:

Great white and little egrets
Greater Flamingos (approx. 50)
Hoopoe
Common Snipe( approx 10)
Fan tailed Warbler
Cetti Warbler
Common Sandpiper
Lapwings
Hen Harrier
Kestral
Meadow Pipits
Water Rail
Stonechats
Northern Shoverler
Common Shelduck
Redshank

Still good numbers of Hawfinch and Siskins at Son Real showing well from the first hide on the Blue Walk. There will never be a better opportunity to photograph these shy and elusive beauties at close range. Mike.

Still good numbers of Hawfinch and Siskins at Son Real showing well from the first hide on the Blue Walk. There will never be a better opportunity to photograph these shy and elusive beauties at close range. Mike.

Yesterday at the hide in son Real again lot of siskins, some hawfinch and dunnocks and lot of thrushes, it is a nice place.

Attachments

• Lluonet800.jpg
    Lluonet800.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Durbec800_2.jpg
    Durbec800_2.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back