• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Jacana spurs / Guanacaste, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

LazDivaz

I have been watching these birds bickering and nesting in my local (endangered) swamp for more than a year, but have never even seen the spurs. Are they present only in mating season, or have I just not been paying attention? I don't see them in any of the photos in the database.
See photo attached.
Saludos
Sara

Attachments

• spurs.jpg
    spurs.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 98
Hi Sara,
Just not paying attention I guess. The presence of the metacarpal spur is not a secondary sexual characteristic. Both sexes have them, and all year round. Visible only when the underwing is visible. They would appear to be involved as a visible deterrent in threat displays (easily visible yellow spur against the dark brown underwing). Possibly also somehow used by the male birds when tucking the eggs (and later the young) under the wing while incubating. Genus Jacana is, by the way, not the only genus in the Family Jacanidae to have them as they are present also in Hydrophasianus.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back