• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendation in 8x30-35? (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

All,

I'm looking for a compact, lightweight bin to use for spotting during photography w/ long lenses. Most of this is done at dawn or dusk to get that long lighting. So, all I want is compact, lightweight, and good at dawn & dusk. I'm sure that's easy :) I don't wear glasses. What would you recommend?

I can get a pair of UHD+ for $1500 CPO and now and then I see some used FL's in that range. I also hear good stuff about the Kowa Genesis 33. I've not tried the Conquest HD (on the heavier side in this class) or Companion CL, though they are definitely in the price range.

I've used the UV BR 8x20 and Zeiss HT 10x42. In the UV, I start to notice the small exit pupil in low light. The HT's are great, but bulky and heavy (I'm already carrying around a giant lens).

Thank you,
Marc

... for $1500 CPO and now and then I see some used FL's in that range. ...

Thank you,
Marc

Hello Marc,

I have been rather satisfied with my FL 8x32, which I have has for a dozen years. If you buy a used FL, imported by Zeiss USA, it would be covered by the Zeiss transferable guarantee. If you have the serial number, Zeiss USA will tell you if it is covered.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

The Kowa Genesis have NO! CA and once set the eye cups let you throw them up without thought, Your eyes are set and there is do fussing to get the right sight picture. I have both these and their big brother the 8.5X44 and only my Zeiss are very slightly better but not by much. These are occasionally on sale and ca be a bargen.
Steve

Hello marcsantacurz. For dawn/dusk viewing, I would place a premium on glare control. That type of lighting situation, with a bright sky but dark landscape, is particularly challenging for a binocular. My personal choice would be the 8x32 Nikon EDG II if you can find one within your budget, but maybe you would consider it too heavy. Of the ones that you mention, I would give the UVHD+ a slight edge over the Conquest HD for glare control. It won't be perfect (no binocular is), and you might see some crescent shaped glare in the bottom of the view, but otherwise it is very good at suppressing glare. I have not tried either the FL or the new CL.

Most of this is done at dawn or dusk to get that long lighting. So, all I want is compact, lightweight, and good at dawn & dusk.

I am sure you know those are conflicting requirements. Perhaps the Swaro Habicht 8x30 would be a good compromise---bright and not too heavy, and well within your budget. If brightness is more important to you, then you have to trade off some weight for it and go with a 42mm FL (with AK prisms).

Hi Marc.

I`d take a look at the Opticron dba vhd plus 8x42, its very compact for a 42mm. weighs less than 700g, but gives you the advantage of a 42mm objective with ed glass in a package not much bigger than many 32mm offerings.

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/dba-vhd-plus-binoculars/dba-vhd-8x42

John.

P.S. Actually they weigh just 100g more than my 32mm swarovski SV and are almost exactly the same height and width !

Last edited:
I am sure you know those are conflicting requirements. Perhaps the Swaro Habicht 8x30 would be a good compromise---bright and not too heavy, and well within your budget. If brightness is more important to you, then you have to trade off some weight for it and go with a 42mm FL (with AK prisms).
Remember the Habicht 8x30 has two weaknesses. A tight focuser and bad flare which could be a big problem at dawn and dusk.

I'd grab the HD+ for that price. Every time I've checked them out I thought they were the best in that size class and was able to compare them side by side outdoors with the EL, Victory's and Conquest (which I previously owned in the 8x32). Of course everyones eyes are different so hopefully you can compare them all. As for the Habicht I owned a pair of 8x30s and while they were nice I think the new glasses have surpassed them. Again this is my personal opinion and you and others may feel quite differently.

Hi,

You can't be wrong with the GREAT Meopta Meostar 8x32. Perhaps the MOST UNDERRATED brand and model binoculars. I have one and is my go-everywhere- binocular. Great optics and mechanics. At any price. Period.

Good luck!

PHA

Yes, I was being a little facetious in listing those requirements, but at least I didn't ask for it to be inexpensive too! Thanks for your comments, btw.

All,

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to get a look at a Kowa and Meopta -- I don't know those brands so I'll check them out.

Based on the feedback, I think the UHD+ bubble towards the top of my list, but what I was looking for was things I don't know about or wasn't sure about and like the Kowa and Meopta suggestions. I'm sure most any of them would be great. I don't mean to discount the EDG, but they are heavy, almost in 42mm class (I shoot nikon cameras, so nothing against them).

From my spreadsheeting the alternatives.... Sorting by weight and giving preference to a full 8 degree FoV, it's the Zeiss FL, Kowa Genesis, and Swaro EL32. The Meopta and Leica UHD+ are lighter, but 7.7 degrees. The EDG (I think this is model #7568?) is heavier and 7.8 degrees. I don't think I'd notice the difference in 7.7 vs 8, but I would notice the difference between 18.9oz (leica or meopta) and 23oz (nikon). The Zeiss & Kowa are in the middle on weight (19.7 and 20.8).

Marc

Hi Marc.

I`d take a look at the Opticron dba vhd plus 8x42, its very compact for a 42mm. weighs less than 700g, but gives you the advantage of a 42mm objective with ed glass in a package not much bigger than many 32mm offerings.

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/dba-vhd-plus-binoculars/dba-vhd-8x42

John.

P.S. Actually they weigh just 100g more than my 32mm swarovski SV and are almost exactly the same height and width !
A 366 foot FOV is pretty tunnel like IMO.

Try the SV, FL, UVHD+, CL, and Conquest HD. One of those should suit your fancy! ;) Each has their own merits.

Attachments

• DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0091.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0149.JPG
    DSC_0149.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 58
Its a trade off though, a 42mm the size and weight (roughly) of most 32mm offerings, and lets not forget that is pretty much the fov on the Tract Toric you once lauded as totally adequate ;).
Didn't Steve say the Tract Toric 8x42 had a FOV much closer to 400 feet after testing it?

Didn't Steve say the Tract Toric 8x42 had a FOV much closer to 400 feet after testing it?

Well maybe the Opticron quote is conservative also, in the end we can only buy on the supplied specs, I will say the dba vhd is very nice anyway, and a great contender for anyone wanting to keep the size in check, but needs a 42mm objective.

Well maybe the Opticron quote is conservative also, in the end we can only buy on the supplied specs, I will say the dba vhd is very nice anyway, and a great contender for anyone wanting to keep the size in check, but needs a 42mm objective.
Another smaller and lighter 8x42 with a bigger FOV than the Opticron would be the Nikon MHG 8x42 with a 435 foot FOV.

If eye relief is not a problem I would get the Leica 8x32 UVHD+.

I AGREE!

I've never owned that binocular for exactly that reason....BUT if it weren't for that, I'd have it. I've used one on several occasions. It's a VERY nice binocular. Maybe the best considering size. It ALMOST has enough ER. But I felt like it was too close to risk it for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back