• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Thanks for the update Brian. Interesting to compare the current numbers for the Top Five with the final positions for last year:

2011 (current)
1st - Dave Walker - 138
=2nd - Gert Corfield - 126
=2nd - Dave Jackson - 126
=2nd - Phil Andrews - 126
=5th - Mike Wakeman - 119
=5th - John Belsey - 119

2010 (final)
1st - Dave Walker - 142
2nd - Phil Andrews - 138
3rd - John Belsey - 135
4th - Dave Jackson - 134
5th - Gert Corfield - 127

Not sure if Brian's list included the Spotshank Gert saw on Sunday so Herr Corfield may have already equalled his list for last year.

I've been a little tardy in updating Brian with my totals, I am now on 124 with Redstart, Little Egret, Ruff, Spotted Flycatcher and Spotted Redshank being the missing five.

If it was Spring, yes I would. However, I'll only venture into there if we're short of a Reed Warbler at lunchtime!
I'm happy to cook and supply charcoal. Are we bringing our own sausages/bacon and has anyone found an old bar-b-que yet? As those disposables are next to useless after more than 15 minutes.

Sy

I was planning on bringing the usual supply of bacon, mushrooms and loaves. Whether these will be good on the barbie I know not, but Dave is bringing his camping stove.

Mike

Autumn All-dayer

I'll also be bringing some checklists, which will include all species seen on previous autumn all-dayers, how many of the 14 (I think) years each has been seen and the year last seen.

Mike

I was planning on bringing the usual supply of bacon, mushrooms and loaves. Whether these will be good on the barbie I know not, but Dave is bringing his camping stove.

Mike

Sounds like the beginning of a plan. I'll bring utensils, sausages, charcoal (and must remember a lighter this time). I'll get a loaf of bread and some bacon tomorrow night. The mushrooms should be OK - the grate is quite a fine mesh.

I'll also be bringing some checklists, which will include all species seen on previous autumn all-dayers, how many of the 14 (I think) years each has been seen and the year last seen.

Mike

Sounds like a good read; I'll look forward to seeing them.
I won't be doing dawn patrol though. Gail and Dan have gone to the in-law's in Ely so I'll have to feed and walk the mutt, sort a few bits out and then come on down.

I spent a fairly quiet 90 minutes at the flashes tonight from 18.50. Waders were very thin on the ground, although I eventually managed to find 6 Green Sandpipers in addition to 22 Curlew and c.40 Lapwing. Ducks were equally scarce, with only 100+ Mallard and 13 Teal. Counting the latter meant I missed picking up a 1st winter Mediterranean Gull that dropped in for less than two minutes - this was first seen by Gavin Peplow - before it headed off towards the Moors Pool. It didn't appear to be the bird I saw last Thursday (and Saturday) unless it's put on a lot of weight in the last five days :-O There were about 500 BHGs roosting, although they were very spread out by the time I left, and two adult and an immature LBBG dropped in briefly.

Mike

I spent a fairly quiet 90 minutes at the flashes tonight from 18.50. Waders were very thin on the ground, although I eventually managed to find 6 Green Sandpipers in addition to 22 Curlew and c.40 Lapwing. Ducks were equally scarce, with only 100+ Mallard and 13 Teal. Counting the latter meant I missed picking up a 1st winter Mediterranean Gull that dropped in for less than two minutes - this was first seen by Gavin Peplow - before it headed off towards the Moors Pool. It didn't appear to be the bird I saw last Thursday (and Saturday) unless it's put on a lot of weight in the last five days :-O There were about 500 BHGs roosting, although they were very spread out by the time I left, and two adult and an immature LBBG dropped in briefly.

Mike

No Common Sand? Have we ever missed it on an autumn All-Dayer?

Leading Bittel patch-lister, Rob W, has just informed me that Bittel has 233 (±) species on its list. Seems UW may only have a very slight edge. It's certainly been a while since we added a new species. I believe Common Rosefinch is still pending and a description is still awaited.

Rob Prudden has informed me that the Lower Moor list stands at 193 (very creditable considering the habitat involved) which excludes our controversial friend the Feral Pigeon. The quoted figure of 236 for UW includes said "species". Let the debate continue .....

Last edited:
Rob Prudden has informed me that the Lower Moor list stands at 193 (very creditable considering the habitat involved) which excludes our controversial friend the Feral Pigeon. The quoted figure of 236 for UW includes said "species". Let the debate continue .....

In that case, I imagine the difference between us and Bittell has reduced.

For the sake of any doubt the leading lists this year are:

2011 (current)
1st - Dave Walker - 138
2nd - Gert Corfield - 128
=3rd - Dave Jackson - 126
=3rd - Phil Andrews - 126
5th - Mike Wakeman - 124

2010 (final)
1st - Dave Walker - 142
2nd - Phil Andrews - 138
3rd - John Belsey - 135
4th - Dave Jackson - 134

Congratulations to Gert on already exceeding his 2010 list with 4 months yet to go.

For the sake of any doubt the leading lists this year are:

2011 (current)
1st - Dave Walker - 138
2nd - Gert Corfield - 128
=3rd - Dave Jackson - 126
=3rd - Phil Andrews - 126
5th - Mike Wakeman - 124

2010 (final)
1st - Dave Walker - 142
2nd - Phil Andrews - 138
3rd - John Belsey - 135
4th - Dave Jackson - 134

Congratulations to Gert on already exceeding his 2010 list with 4 months yet to go.

I think Jared T is on 133 or 134.

Brian, I did email you with my Spotshank sighting (also a UW lifer) last night; it doesn't appear on the latest updated list as yet!

Sorry about that Andy. Lists now updated here.

This is the email to use for list additions/ammendments: [email protected]

Two Black Terns at the sailing lake this morning and several others turning up across the Midlands so could be good for tomorrow.

Brian

The terns were found by Glenn Hunt this morning but had gone by 11am. Gives us hope for tomorrow, Nik at Marsh Lane is trying to get a team up for tomorrow, but I only told him yesterday.
B :)John
ps it was light at 5am this morning:eek!: are you ready for an early start or are we doing relays

Last edited:
Autumn All-Dayer

For those who may be interested, attached is the checklist I'll be bringing tomorrow. I have about ten copies.

Also I'll have 2009 & 2010 Upton reports if anyone still needs one.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Autumn checklist.xls
    34 KB · Views: 69
Well you can (unfortunately) forget our 11-times banker the Cetti's. Essentially, we need to connect with the <5 brigade...

See you all tomorrow, gang.

SJV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back