• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Rhodes, Greece (1 Viewer)

We are visiting Greece in May and hoping to do some bird-watching whilst we are there, does anyone know of any local birders in Rhodes that are on social media or have contact emails so we can get some good locations etc for our trip?

We are staying in Kiotari but will have a hire car so can travel across the Island.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes

Lauren

Hi and welcome to BF from all the staff, we hope you enjoy the site. I have moved your thread to a more appropriate forum where, hopefully, you will get a better response.
regards,
Andy

I have been there in late August (certainly not the best time of the year) and on a non birding holiday without a rental car. Birding was very slow on this conditions.

Was lucky to have a Bonelli's Eagle as a flyover close to the hotel grounds and migration can be possible everywhere on the island anyway I guess. We had large groups of Honey Buzzards Migrating and one day where red backed Shrikes have been everywhere.

The ruins in Kamiros have been kind of productive with Rüppell's Warbler and Eastern Black eared Whaetear.

I have been there in late August (certainly not the best time of the year) and on a non birding holiday without a rental car. Birding was very slow on this conditions.

Was lucky to have a Bonelli's Eagle as a flyover close to the hotel grounds and migration can be possible everywhere on the island anyway I guess. We had large groups of Honey Buzzards Migrating and one day where red backed Shrikes have been everywhere.

The ruins in Kamiros have been kind of productive with Rüppell's Warbler and Eastern Black eared Whaetear.

Thanks for this info, we have noted these places along with some others we have, very much so looking forward to the trip! Thanks again

Hope you have a great time. Despite issues with litter and rubbish collection (or there was at least when we visited), it will always be one of my favourate places, Rhodes Old Town, Ancient Kamiros, Kalithea Springs, all wonderful places especially if you go late afternoon or early morning when these places are less crowded.

Birding is secondary in many ways, there is no real classic birding spot, but just enjoy what you come across as you go along. The scenery and history is breathtaking.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back