• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpie nest - with a roof (1 Viewer)

Jaysan

Hi All,

The past few years, I have lived in hope that a bird will nest in the alder tree opposite our home.

The first year, a pair of wood pigeons started building a nest only for a pair of magpi to come along and help themselves to the sticks before the pigeons had a chance. The next year, a pair of magpi tried to build the nest, but were scared away when they were attacked by a carrion crow. The following year, a pair of wood pigeons bulit the nest and sat on it for a few weeks late in summer - but nothing came of it. Last year, I didn't notice much progress.

This year, a pair of magpie started adding to the nest in March. Not only did they increase the height of the nest, they also built an extra layer above the original nest (see attachd photo). Initially I wasn't sure which clump of wood they would nest on. Now it appears that the lower clump is the nest and the upper one is practically a roof.

Wonder if this is a common nest building technique amongst magpi / other birds? And if so, is it to stop prying eyes (privacy) and/or to provide shade (the nest is west facing and will get a lot of sun in the evenings).

Thanks a ton.

Jaysan.

Attachments

• IMG_6852 (4).jpg
    IMG_6852 (4).jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 45
The pair of magpies close to me not only built a nest with a roof (attached in this case) but also with a doorway in the side.

Attachments

• magpienest.jpg
    magpienest.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 6
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back