• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Britain's Great Reef - BBC1-Monday 10/10/2011-19.30pm-20.00pm (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I have to say that I really enjoyed this programme last night :t:

Mike Dilger is a great presenter, and he keeps my attention anyday...on the One Show presentation of featured Wildlife, or otherwise

This was a regional programme to my area in the East (Norfolk), and it discusses the chalk reef area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0161m9n

Hopefully, the BBC I-player gives access to all who want to see it

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi Kathy. I enjoyed it too. A very informative programme about a subject which I knew little about, despite being Norfolk born and bred. It was a shame it wasn't on for a full hour but it managed to convey some of the conflicts which can arise between the requirement for conservation and the needs of ordinary people trying to make an honest living. Cromer without the crabs would be unthinkable. :-C

I agree that Mike Dilger is a superb presenter: enthusiastic and engaging but never patronising. I also think the the One Show doesn't get enough recognition for its excellent wildlife coverage. It is about the only programme on TV with regular natural history features, most of them interesting and informative.

Ron

Hi Kathy. I enjoyed it too. A very informative programme about a subject which I knew little about, despite being Norfolk born and bred. It was a shame it wasn't on for a full hour but it managed to convey some of the conflicts which can arise between the requirement for conservation and the needs of ordinary people trying to make an honest living. Cromer without the crabs would be unthinkable. :-C

I agree that Mike Dilger is a superb presenter: enthusiastic and engaging but never patronising. I also think the the One Show doesn't get enough recognition for its excellent wildlife coverage. It is about the only programme on TV with regular natural history features, most of them interesting and informative.

Ron

Hi Ron

Like you. I also felt the programme was a little crammed in for time, and there could be more debates how things operate from the conservationists/fisherman's angle. :t:

Great to hear from a local to the area...like yourself. I remember having Cromer Crab during one of my visits to Norfolk. What would Cromer be without its 'signature' dish of Crab meat.

IMHO, the thing is that the fisherman are catching lobsters, Crabs etc... in the old fashioned traditional way, and surely that means that it will not have a dramatic effect on the areas marine life.
The local fisherman are aware of Crabs and Lobster sizes for human consumption, and will throw live stock back into the sea and that is a good thing to do. The local fisherman are more aware of the environment that they live in for their living and for their livehoods.

It will be interesting if the zoned areas do end up being a sea nature reserve and how it is dealt with for conservation purposes. Love to hear the outcome of this emotive subject

Mike Dilger does need his place in Autumnwatch to be honest! :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back