• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly field guides - south-east Asia (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

Are there any out there? I've got a checklist of butterflies for Vietnam but only 100 species illustrated.

cheers, alan

Are there any out there? I've got a checklist of butterflies for Vietnam but only 100 species illustrated.

cheers, alan

This will have many of them in and it is probably the best but as you can see, it's now expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BUTTERFLIE...0232&sr=8-11&keywords=butterflies+of+thailand

This multi vol set is also expensive and I don't know if it got finished, 3 vols that I know of.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Butterflie...00615&sr=8-12&keywords=butterflies+of+vietnam

Also theses which I cannot comment on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Butterflie...900380&sr=8-1&keywords=butterflies+of+vietnam

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Common-But...00569&sr=8-11&keywords=butterflies+of+vietnam

A

Last edited:

cheers, alan
Hi Alan
Very difficult, Butterflies of Thailand might help

not cheap, but still £300 cheaper than the Butterflies of China!

I managed to identify most of my Vietnam Butterflies that I photographed from online resources while in Vietnam and once i got back home.

These websites useful
Butterfly List and Photographs for Southern VietNam and Laos
A Check List of Butterflies in Indo-China

Alexander L. Monastyrskii checked and confirmed/ reidentified my photos once I had put names on them.

you might also like to look at my photos

Dave

Hi Alan
Very difficult, Butterflies of Thailand might help

not cheap, but still £300 cheaper than the Butterflies of China!

I managed to identify most of my Vietnam Butterflies that I photographed from online resources while in Vietnam and once i got back home.

These websites useful
Butterfly List and Photographs for Southern VietNam and Laos
A Check List of Butterflies in Indo-China

Alexander L. Monastyrskii checked and confirmed/ reidentified my photos once I had put names on them.

you might also like to look at my photos

Dave

Dave
Great, thanks very useful - I suspect I'll just rely on taking lots of photographs

cheers, alan

The Butterflies of the Malay Archipelago, Corbett & Pendlebury is very comprehensive.

Then, for a much smaller number the much more recent:

A Naturists Guide of the Butterflies of Peninsula Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, Kirton.

The Butterflies of the Malay Archipelago, Corbett & Pendlebury is very comprehensive.

A Naturists Guide of the Butterflies of Peninsula Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, Kirton.

Can't find a single listing so is pretty hard to get then?

A

Thanks James, just ordered both. I've got a second hand version of the 2nd edition of the first - presumably not as good as the 4th edition, but I think includes most of the plates? About £30.

cheers, alan

via Abe books; seller in East Sussex - others available from the US, inc 4th ed

cheers, alan

Thnks Alan, I did find it in the end but stated to come in three parts or is that the single volume description, a bit confusing?

I may or may not get this, can't really see that it will have much that's not in the Thai guide?:

A

Thnks Alan, I did find it in the end but stated to come in three parts or is that the single volume description, a bit confusing?

I may or may not get this, can't really see that it will have much that's not in the Thai guide?:

A

No idea, what I'm getting - I'll see what turns up.

I may order the Thai guide at some stage - too big to take away, but does sound very good.

cheers, alan

No idea, what I'm getting - I'll see what turns up.

I may order the Thai guide at some stage - too big to take away, but does sound very good.

cheers, alan

The Butterflies of the Malay Archipelago, Corbett & Pendlebury is a very nice book, although, probably needs taxonomy and nomenclature update.

My edition (4th 1992) has 26 colour plates and a further 6 which are unfortunately only monochrome, covering a large part of the Lycanidae.

When Identifying my Vietnam Butterflies i dont think i referred to it at all, but well worth having anyway.

dave

This was delivered today. 1975 but seems okay. Colour photos of specimens.

Attachments

• IMG_20180129_165324396.jpg
    IMG_20180129_165324396.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 34
Re The Butterflies of the Malay Archipelago, Corbett & Pendlebury, this Amazon description is what confused me. Does it mean three separate volumes or that the single volume has three sections?

'This title is revised by JN Eliot. It is a revision of this major work on the Malay lepidoptera. Produced in three parts, the first part covers butterfly life history, nomenclature and classification. Part two is a discussion of all species in six families, whilst the final part is a checklist of butterflies of the Malay Peninsula, plus bibliography and index.'

I'm also getting very odd search results for this title, the other day I found none, this morning there were plenty and now my search site isn't finding a single one!?

A

I'm presently wading through hundreds of butterfly photos from Thialand. The Felming books are proving pretty useless. The Kirton book helpful in narrowing it down and then I'm checking a number of websites. I've ordered the Corbett book in the hope that it's better than the Fleming one.

If I'd seen it for that price before I'd ordered the Malay one, I'd have gone for it. Is it much better than the Malay one? I'm in Malaysia soon. The furthest north I was on my recent trip was Khao Yai - where I saw surprisingly few butterflies - so presumably not many species will be missing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back