• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is next (1 Viewer)

dries1

Well what is next for Nikon, sure the WX is a very nice instrument, but let's face it not too many here are going to spend that on a 10X50 for night viewing or to mount on a tripod to view the valley.

With the ending of the EDG line, will Nikon come out with another premium glass such as a new porro 8X40 lets say, or a new enhanced roof.......or are they going to concentrate on the mid range market......for a while..

Could 2018 be the year, I am thinking yes.

A.W.

mid range...HEY Look NIKON plastic clam shell package....grab-n-go bins....blue light specials....walmart , shopko , Costco , bigK......:-O

they have the technology and ability to make whatever they want....but I think about 90% of their binocular sales are Aculon/prostaff or lower bins.....

I think Zeiss and Leica will [hopefully] always make their premier series in-house. For both, they have a century long legacy of optics manufacturing and it would be a loss for the brand to end that.

Swaro, that has a bigger [personal] stake in optics, will always make [most] of their own, IMO.

If you can find a pair of EDG bino's definitely worth snapping them up. I used a buddies pair for a few days and was throughly impressed. I have been using Nikon MONARCH Hg's for almost a year now and they are the best pair I won. Half the price of a Euro bino I have and better clarity! Definitely worth taking a look at if you're in the $1000 range.

As other manufacturers make better mid range glass in the $1000.00 range which will sell well if designed and manufactured well, what are the big three going to do with all those $2500-$2700 binos that start to have slow sales. I think Nikon has figured it out, Leica offers some premium glass at discounted prices - I purchased some very nice glass discounted, but the other two - are going to have to sell glass at competitive prices, so lets see how much they concentrate down the road in making top glass in house. $2,700 for a Zeiss or a Swaro, Naaah, I will go Meopta.

A.W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back