• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied piper? (1 Viewer)

Jaysan

I was in Tulum recently and saw this scene on a few days. One (possible) Great egret flying with numerous (possible) little blue herons following. Usually the egret was leading and the herons following. The egret was in the middle on one occasion, but seemed to be overtaking the rest. As I saw this in the evenings, they are probably going to roost.

Guess birds follow the leader as it is easier to fly. But why would a given bird take over the lead role and why woudl two different species join up this way?

I cant attach the image here, but you can see it here: https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/601819/ppuser/91702

Thanks in advance.

Jaysan

Those birds all look the same size to me, so I don't think the white bird can be a Great Egret. It looks fine for a juvenile Little Blue (legs more greenish than black, as best I can tell), though I don't know why there's just one and I don't know the timing of their breeding/molting in Mexico. Start by posting this to the ID forum and see if you have any more photos of the white bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back