• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help tackling some birds on the UK list (1 Viewer)

Moadib

Having enjoyed birdwatching for many years, my wife and I are slowly beginning to focus on some of the species we've never caught up with. Our birding is mainly done in Scotland and northern England, which means quite a few are hard to find unless we get a rarity drifting up here.

She has a couple of days holiday near the end of May, and I was thinking to get away for a long weekend to try and see nightjar - being one of the species we've never seen (despite a couple of tries in southern Scotland).

What I wanted to ask was any suggestion of a good area to go. I was thinking of trying to see cirl bunting (another we've never seen), so heading down to SW England area, but if anyone had any suggestions of good nightjar areas anywhere in the UK, it would be really helpful.

You should certainly be able to find Cirl Bunting and Nightjar, plus Dartford Warbler, without much trouble in a day (and evening) around south Devon. Labrador bay for the bunting and Aylesbeare or Woodbury Commons for the other two.

Steve

Many thanks. Dartford warbler we enjoyed once on a morning walk along Dunwich Heath, but would be always a nice bird to see.
Are there any fairly reliable sites further north for nightjar, or is it a case of the further south the better? It looks like 8 hours drive or so down to south Devon - do-able, but might 16 hours drive might be too much for me for a weekend. Maybe I need to leave cirl bunting for a longer summer trip :)

Nightjar should be available in North Wales (Nercwys) or Staffordshire (Cannock Chase) although I have not personally looked for a few years. (Also had a super view of a perched one on Mt Cameroon a week or so ago - but not guaranteed there!)

Got silhouette views of Nightjar a couple of times at Nercwys last summer. Can ferret out site details for you if you decide to try there.

We have a site in the goyt valley near Buxton used the last few years
Don't know about this year yet - still a bit early
Pm me if of any interest

Got silhouette views of Nightjar a couple of times at Nercwys last summer. Can ferret out site details for you if you decide to try there.

Thanks, that would be very interesting. We're still hoping to make a trip down at end of May, so planning where best to go. June would be better, but June weekends are looking very busy unfortunately :-(

Wow, thanks, Northumberland sounds really great, within a reasonable drive from me. Do you know whether it's a wide area, and if so whether there are best trails to follow? We tried Raiders Road down south from us in Dumfries, and it's HUGE. You really need to have an idea where you're headed (which we didn't - although the midgies tracked us down pretty quickly!)
I saw on some websites that Slaley have good guidance on nightjar - not to go walking in clearings or otherwise disturbing them, which is really good to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back