• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

Not to be outdone in the quest to find the perfect image of the world's most photographed Sedge Warbler, here are my offerings.

Des.

Attachments

• Sedge Warbler 2.jpg
    Sedge Warbler 2.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Sedge Warbler 1.jpg
    Sedge Warbler 1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 92
Not to be outdone in the quest to find the perfect image of the world's most photographed Sedge Warbler, here are my offerings.

Des.

this sedge warbler has quite thing for the camera. Here is one of mine not as good as yours though.

Attachments

• Sedge Warbler 2.jpg
    Sedge Warbler 2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Originally posted by UW82

Where exactly is this agreeable bird to be found?

Peter

Bumped into Gary Prescott and Andy Pitt at the Flashes this morning. Dunlin and Ringed Plover still present. BHG now appears to have built a nest on the new raft (Forum rules preclude the posting of images showing nest sites - although what is expected on a nesting raft is beyond me!). I may tend to bend these rules if the target species shows interest.
Some photos are here...

Last edited:
A very quiet evening at Upton.

At the Moors the only notable event was, unfortunately, a fox taking a juvenile Moorhen from the sluice area by the feeding station.

Over on the Flashes this mornings Ringed Plover and Dunlin had both gone, with nothing in to replace them. Lets hope for a more productive weekend ...

A very quiet evening at Upton.

At the Moors the only notable event was, unfortunately, a fox taking a juvenile Moorhen from the sluice area by the feeding station.

Over on the Flashes this mornings Ringed Plover and Dunlin had both gone, with nothing in to replace them. Lets hope for a more productive weekend ...

Bit quiet round here too.. has everyone gone to bed..is there another alldayer tomorrow 8-P I'll be over as early doors as possible, as I fancy getting that spoony back;)...ok I have had a little drink B :)

Very quiet today only passage waders were Dunlin 1 poss 2. and Common sand
Also at the Moors were Snipe, Lapwing 6, Oystercatcher 2 lots of young. The strong SW wind shifted to a NW in just a couple of hours as the low pressure moved eastwards, during this time 80+ Sand martins and the same amount of Swift fed low over the pools.
The breeding survey today revealed at least 4 whitethroats and at least 1 lesser whitethroats around the moors and north moors. A willow warbler commuted between the secret garden and east gate. 2 Cuckoos called and a hobby circled at mid-day.
It was a bit worrying to hear that a fox had climbed over the fox fence at the Flashes :-C and was seen to catch an adult duck. Also at the Flashes were snipe, common sand, dunlin (poss a different bird to the Moors) and 6 LRP and 37 Avocet
Just before I left the Flashes I took these photos.
It shows the fox (cat like ) walking the trap-ease of the fox fence, with a female mallard in its mouth. It was having great difficulty trying to jump out of the reserve and dropped the duck on a couple of occasions. Retrieving it, it tried again without success finally literally falling off the fence out of the reserve. Hopefully this experience will deter it ..fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF5842.jpg
    DSCF5842.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
most the paddock sections where I live seem to have some basic electrified sections across there top ..I presume running off a car battery...

Avocet Food?

Whilst taking a sample from the north shore of the flashes this evening, as part of the salinity monitoring programme, I noticed a high density of these small (1-2mm), motile invertibrates swimming in the sample. I reckon they're 'Water Fleas' Daphnia. I wonder if these small crustaceans form part of the Avocet diet (?)

Some species of Daphnia are halophiles (salt-loving) and can be indicators of good water quality.

Can confirm two Dunlins present still this evening - one on moors, one flashes.

Attachments

• Daphnia Flashes 140511.jpg
    Daphnia Flashes 140511.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Daphnia Flashes UW140511.jpg
    Daphnia Flashes UW140511.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 81
It was a bit worrying to hear that a fox had climbed over the fox fence at the Flashes :-C and was seen to catch an adult duck. ..... Just before I left the Flashes I took these photos.
It shows the fox (cat like ) walking the trap-ease of the fox fence, with a female mallard in its mouth. It was having great difficulty trying to jump out of the reserve and dropped the duck on a couple of occasions. Retrieving it, it tried again without success finally literally falling off the fence out of the reserve. Hopefully this experience will deter it ..fingers crossed.

The one positive aspect of this is that it shows that the fencing must be secure and not breached in any place for a fox to go to these lengths to get in/out of the Flashes. All the hard work undertaken by the work party to test and strengthen the perimeter fencing obviously produced results.

Another Wood Sandpiper present on the flashes this morning - found by Alan H.

A record ninth bird for the year (hope all sightings will be submitted to the County Recorder, although he may start to get sick of Wood Sand descriptions!). Will be a nice one to add to the WeBS count when I get off my fat a#%e and make my way down to Upton. |=o|

Whilst taking a sample from the north shore of the flashes this evening, as part of the salinity monitoring programme, I noticed a high density of these small (1-2mm), motile invertibrates swimming in the sample. I reckon they're 'Water Fleas' Daphnia. I wonder if these small crustaceans form part of the Avocet diet (?)

Some species of Daphnia are halophiles (salt-loving) and can be indicators of good water quality.

Can confirm two Dunlins present still this evening - one on moors, one flashes.

Looks like the real ale I had last night.8-P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back