• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Britannia 3 Nov BBC4 9pm (1 Viewer)

ral2

The new four-part series 'Birds Britannia' starts next week on BBC4 at 9pm. Programmes in the series are as follows:

3 November: garden birds

10 November: waterbirds

17 November: seabirds

24 November: countryside birds

Good first programme, looking forward to the next few now.

Didn't learn much new info but liked the comments near the end about house sparrows sharing our urban "habitat" and the (still unconfirmed) causes of their decline potentially affecting us further down the line. Illustrates the links between all biodiversity and perhaps also the real importance of studying and conserving birds.

I enjoyed it and found it very interesting. I noticed one minor oddity though. In the section about the Victorians keeping caged wild birds, they played a scene from the BBC's recent production of Bleak House. Pauline Collins, as Miss Flite, was releasing all the caged birds, including two Siskins, one of which carried a very bright orange ring on its leg! I missed that the first time round.

Ron

Haven't seen it yet,going to watch it in an hour or so,am sure it won't provoke as much discussion as Mondays twitcher programme though

I enjoyed it and found it very interesting. I noticed one minor oddity though. In the section about the Victorians keeping caged wild birds, they played a scene from the BBC's recent production of Bleak House. Pauline Collins, as Miss Flite, was releasing all the caged birds, including two Siskins, one of which carried a very bright orange ring on its leg! I missed that the first time round.

Ron

Weren't they Canaries? I could be wrong as I was only half watching whilst reading another thread about another BBC4 programme!

Gareth

An interesting programme. Good to see contributions by veterens such as Tony Soper on the show. Look forward to next weeks installment.

Si.

A thoroughly enjoyable, interesting and informative programme! Looking forward to 'Waterbirds' next week!

Good start looking forward to future programmes. Good to hear from some genuine experts as well some of the characters of birdwatching.
A good balance
Much better than that awful programme on "twitchers"

Not as amusing as Twitchers programme (I have now watched it 4 times and enjoyed it every time!) but BB is very interesting factual programme, full of little titbits of knowledge.

However, I don't agree with the programme makers who assert that the reason we feed the birds in the garden is to have some control of them.

I put out scraps at night for the fox and badger, whom I rarely see.

Likewise, you put out bird food because the weather is cold and avian life gets hungry!

However, I don't agree with the programme makers who assert that the reason we feed the birds in the garden is to have some control of them.

Don't recall the comments in question but I hate blanket statements like this that there is no evidence for/proof of. How do the programme makers know why any individual feeds birds?!

Just a reminder that the second part of 'Birds Britannia' is on BBC4 tonight at 9.00pm, after Johnny Kingdom. I watched the first episode of 'B B' again the other night and enjoyed it even more the second time as I wasn't so tired. It's the sort of quirky programme that could only appear on BBC4. Tonight's episode is entitled Waterbirds.

Ron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back