• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fen's Pool Nr (1 Viewer)

I had a very brief Long-tailed Duck on the Middle Pool early this morning for 20 mins. I will post some notes and pictures tomorrow - somebody very kindly posted the record on Birdguides after my brother put a picture on Twitter...

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

I had a very brief Long-tailed Duck on the Middle Pool early this morning for 20 mins. I will post some notes and pictures tomorrow - somebody very kindly posted the record on Birdguides after my brother put a picture on Twitter...

Good birding -

Great find Laurie - I imagine BirdGuides picked it up after I put it on the West Midlands Birding Facebook page.

Judging by photos it is neither of the long-staying birds in the region (Branston Gravel Pits and Clifton Pits)

Yesterday's LTD...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2691 Jun. 01 16.11.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2691 Jun. 01 16.11.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 22
  • ScreenHunter_2692 Jun. 01 16.12.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2692 Jun. 01 16.12.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 25
  • ScreenHunter_2694 Jun. 01 16.13.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2694 Jun. 01 16.13.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 26
  • ScreenHunter_2696 Jun. 01 16.16.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2696 Jun. 01 16.16.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 26
Just to bring this thread up to date for those who might not check any others.....

A Long-tailed Duck was present on the mud at the Middle Pool ca8am ystda. I watched it for a couple of mins before it flew off with a couple of Mallard. I relocated it on nearby Footshole Pool and watched it feeding until 9am.

This is my 4th sighting at 3 locations in a week - i will look at some photos and decide how many individuals *I* think are involved. I will check later today at both sites to see whether it is still present.

Good Birding -

Oh - Todd had a male Shoveler later on yesterday.

It has been a week since the all too brief appearance of the adult Med Gull but Todd turned up trumps with a lunchtime visit that yielded the largest party of waders i have heard of there for quite a while - 7 Common Sandpipers:eek!:

I was cycling up later anyway but when i got there i found nothing despite combing the edge. I quickly checked all the other pools picking up the LTD on the V pool and went back up to Fens Top Pool where i intended spending an hour finger-drumming and checking out the 100+ large Gulls. I heard the distinct flight call of a Common Sand and picked up the 7 birds that had now split into a 2-3-2 formation - quite how i missed them when i arrived is something that troubles me. I managed to scope them all to see if any were juveniles but they were all adults. I cannot see them managing to breed in time but where there's a will.....

As already stated the problem with afternoon visits to FP is you never know what or who you will bump into to make you look around to see if they are filming Little Britain. Todays idiot was a young girl, possibly the Mother of the kid, riding around on an off road ATV. No thought for what might happen to the child:C - just the sort of people you do not want passing on their Genes - DNA or stonewashed. There is always a socio-economic group of feckless fecund teenagers in the area that to them getting pregnant is second nature as they come from households where it is the norm and giving birth is just like shelling peas.....

What worries me is that they are supposed to be paying my pension - good birding.

Attached: Sandpipers that are not actually that Common at FP and something that is all too common...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2743 Jul. 03 12.10.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2743 Jul. 03 12.10.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 35
  • ScreenHunter_2744 Jul. 03 12.12.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2744 Jul. 03 12.12.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 33
  • ScreenHunter_2745 Jul. 03 12.13.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2745 Jul. 03 12.13.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 40
Just down a bit from the fens pools on the canal near footshole, is a male mandarin in amongst the mallards. Been told its been about for three weeks

Just down a bit from the fens pools on the canal near footshole, is a male mandarin in amongst the mallards. Been told its been about for three weeks
Saw this myself on todays first amble to fens pool, seemed quite tame and rather attached to the resident mallard!

Plenty of waterfowl about, goosander, tufted, pochard etc and little egret on the fens pool among the reeds.

Matt

Attachments

• 4F5F9B25-0A30-448C-AFE7-123DEED80543.jpeg
    4F5F9B25-0A30-448C-AFE7-123DEED80543.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • CFBB48B1-9EB2-43C1-9696-C7E2A780B2EA.jpeg
    CFBB48B1-9EB2-43C1-9696-C7E2A780B2EA.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 538823FF-FA70-4CBD-BA48-B880C329406B.jpeg
    538823FF-FA70-4CBD-BA48-B880C329406B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • DA541F5B-96B3-4467-B3D5-EB437B8C7038.jpeg
    DA541F5B-96B3-4467-B3D5-EB437B8C7038.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 4
  • D696F2A4-0A68-4240-BD0B-88058742BE49.jpeg
    D696F2A4-0A68-4240-BD0B-88058742BE49.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Not really but what it has done is exposed a bit of rubbish e.g. bottles and tins so maybe the Wardens can put in an appearance and clean it up.

I spoke to a fisherman on Top Pool (fishing is now banned there btw). He said he saw smoke coming from the Middle Pool and then the Fire Brigade arrived with beaters to put it out. He then watched two feckless idiots do a circuit along the railway line and around most of Top Pool starting small fires whilst watching the FB play catch up. You are never far away from mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers at Fens Pools.....

Good birding -

Laurie -

What a shame some idiots can think of nothing better to do with their time! Glad it is not too bad though.

Finally broke the seal and made a first trip since getting back from Tarifa. I cycled up around 13:30 with the Dog - she enjoyed the experience I didn’t. All pools held fishing idiots c/w a 6-pack (the only one you will associate with the bulk of them) of beer and the mandatory spliff. There is technically NO fishing on the whole pool complex at present with the possibility of a permit system for the Top Pool at some stage - btw this pool is overall easily the best for passage waders in addition to the only loafing raft and assorted metal drums in various stages of entropy. Any of the other pools would be better suited to fishing particularly the Grove which never has any edge and the Car Park is adjacent but the idiots at the Canal and River Trust have deemed the best pool for birds as worthy to fish. All notices to this effect were destroyed within 48 hours of display so don’t bother pointing this out unless you have a pre-planned visit to your Dentist. My advice would be to not visit the site at weekends over the Winter unless it is pre-breakfast and certainly no later than lunchtime. By then the manhole covers will be up and the local pond life come out to play and it is Fort Apache the Bronx…..

I saw nothing of note and no gathering of Large Gulls that habitually drop in for a wash and brush up prior to roosting over near Brum on the larger Razzers. The Black Swan is still present. I have been informed that a Rock Pipit has been claimed by the same person that has been seeing most of the British list over the Summer but as usual it flew off and no images are ever provided. In addition a female Pintail was somewhere. I have to say I made a cursory cover of the Malllard and I did clock a paler female in with them but there are usually a couple of spaz’s present and I did not grill them…..

Good birding -

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back