• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Jay (1 Viewer)

Benjismum

Hope I'm ok putting this here, but I have to tell someone - I'm a new birder and I've just seen my first Jay. I haven't seen many unusual birds, never mind been able to ID them. Travelling to work it flew in front of me and hopped along a wall. I stopped (rather abruptly) and had a good view about ten feet away for about 30 secs.

I was so excited I got halfway to work before having to turn back and check on my horse. I've just got into work and told my colleagues and they've all looked at me as if I'm mad. So I just thought I'd share it with people who would probably understand my excitement.

I think I'm hooked!

Benjismum

yes definitely sound hooked to me!! Yes people looking at you as if you're mad is something I can realate to!!

anyway nice one. :t:

Always nice to see a Jay-especially the first one! They're so colourful.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick or were you travelling to work by Horse??
What's your next new bird going to be......

Jays are fantastic birds, and always a pleasure to see...

Believe me, you're fine... it's all your works colleagues who are mad!

Seeing a new bird is amazing isn't it. I hope the excitement isn't diminished the more birds I see... it must get harder and harder to see a new bird.

Having said that, seeing a bird I've seen countless times in different surroundings or displaying different behavoir can be just as thrilling... I never tire of Great Crested Grebes.

Anyhoo... speak of firsts... I saw my first Garden Warbler this morning, right in my own little garden... makes for a cracking start to the day |=)|

Yes, this is the perfect place to share the excitement of seeing a new bird. I enjoy hearing about other's new sightings almost as much as getting a new one myself (OK, maybe not quite as much). And a Jay is always worth mentioning!

Boyinthebush,
Congrats on the Garden Warbler! And no the excitement isn't diminished with the more you see. For me it is actually greater as it is getting so much harder to find a new one!

One of my favourites too, I am always excited to see one even if it is only a glimpse as I am driving. One of the Hotels in Amsterdam where we stay has feeders outside the breakfast room window, and we can eat and watch the Jays at close quarters, brilliant colours.

Jays really are a lovely bird, and to be thrilled is no shame. good luck and keep on birding. bert.

Benjismum said:
Hope I'm ok putting this here, but I have to tell someone - I'm a new birder and I've just seen my first Jay. I haven't seen many unusual birds, never mind been able to ID them. Travelling to work it flew in front of me and hopped along a wall. I stopped (rather abruptly) and had a good view about ten feet away for about 30 secs.

I was so excited I got halfway to work before having to turn back and check on my horse. I've just got into work and told my colleagues and they've all looked at me as if I'm mad. So I just thought I'd share it with people who would probably understand my excitement.

I think I'm hooked!

Benjismum
My colleagues always look at me as if I am mad when I describe seeing a bird, but it is very exciting to me... When I was in Turkey , on holiday last year , I saw a lot of Jays. They are beautiful birds. They seemed quite tame & would fly around near the open air restaurant looking for food, so I had a very good look at them

Benjismum said:

I think I'm hooked!

Benjismum

Your certainly in the right place. Were all hooked.

Gerry Hooper said:
Have I got the wrong end of the stick or were you travelling to work by Horse??

No travelling by car unfortunately, I check my horse in his field, on the way to work.

Although I would travel by horse always, given half a chance, I seem to get so much closer to wildlife when on horseback!

Dawn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back