• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your last bird of 2013 (1 Viewer)

It's not over yet! (Can't recall which was the last bird I saw this afternoon, but I'm sure I can pop outside and record something-or-another ... )

Mine was Magpie; it flew downhill to its night roost. It has a high chance of being the first 2014 bird as well, unless the rooks and jackdaws decide to pour over sky in opposite direction (magpies go downhill to roost, rooks and jackdaws go uphill). I think they will have a pretty sleepless night with the immense concert downtown.

Jackdaw perched on the church roof opposite :king: Wouldn't be surprised if it's the FIRST bird I see tomorrow morning too! :-O

Was actually a Great Spotted Woddpecker and the garden feeder. If iam not getting Tawny Owl in the next hours which is definetly a possibility on the walk to the party ;)

Great Tit

image from yesterday but "they" have been around all today - image taken from the comfort of my armchair through the house window

Attachments

• GT_30_12.jpg
    GT_30_12.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 48
Thought it was going to be roosting Goosanders but then driving back in the dark, a Woodcock flew in front of my car. Brilliant!

Starling - and another notebook is retired to the bookshelf. Only two sides of lined paper blank this year - tomorrow the pristine replacement goes into action for the first time.

John

Heard a robin as I came in this afternoon. Most birds too bright too come out in todays rain. Last tick for the year was a velvet scoter, A lifer as well as a year tick. I love Norfolk. (and Suffolk).

My last year tick was Mute Swan earlier this afternoon and the last bird of the year was Northern Cardinal on the feeder at dusk. That may be my first bird of the new year as well.

Dave

Lesser black-backed gull. Which was a bit of a surprise in a wood in Wiltshire.

I saw some research years ago about seagulls that move to unexpected
places. At the time, the researches connected this to stashes of bones
each gull would keep on flat-topped buildings. They swallow, etch calcium from
the bone, regurgitate....gives them that missing nutrient. They were
using chicken bones and ribs from trash. Not sure if that still holds with
all the burial and incineration of trash now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back