• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

adders (1 Viewer)

Hi Peter

Hatfield Moor is great for both Adders and Grass Snakes. Just walk slowly and carefully along the paths (especially alongside the very large peat diggings) and you should get lucky. I've seen reptiles in most parts of the reserve. Best time is early/mid morning before it gets too hot (although not likely to get too warm this Sunday).

If you don't see any snakes on Sunday send me a PM and I will give you more detailed directions to the best areas.

Cheers Mike, I'll see if I can spot some solo and PM you if I need a return visit! Last Adder I saw was at Talkin Tarn in the lakes but as it was crossing a road at speed it was easy to see :) once it had reached the bracken and leaf litter it was really well camouflaged. A Grass Snake would be a lifer too - not sure how I've managed to avoid them thus far.

There was an Adder or two noted sunning themselves at Berry Point, Devon last weekend 11th March... but sadly we did not see them at all during our birding trip.

Regards
Kathy
x

Thanks to this splendid forum and three hours of searching I found an Adder this morning - it was the only part of the North of England without any sun first thing so I look forward to another visit in better weather! Loads of interesting wildlife at Hatfield and I didn't see a soul for two of the three hours :)

Thanks to this splendid forum and three hours of searching I found an Adder this morning - it was the only part of the North of England without any sun first thing so I look forward to another visit in better weather! Loads of interesting wildlife at Hatfield and I didn't see a soul for two of the three hours :)

Great stuff. It's certainly a good place for snakes.

Glad you were successful. It's certainly one of my favourite early spring activities. I should have said watch your shadow as well, but that's probably fairly obvious!

Adder surprise!

Had a bit of a shock this evening - found a Common Lizard to photograph on some dunes in Cumbria and went to kneel down to get a better shot and luckily looked down at the last minute to find a fantastic male Adder just where I was about to place my knee! I guess lizards would be a prey item for an Adder so not sure if I interrupted a hunt... brilliant experience.

Attachments

• DSC_1260.jpg
    DSC_1260.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_1274.jpg
    DSC_1274.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back