• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colour ringed (and flagged) Sanderlings (1 Viewer)

MTem

Had a day out in Chichester harbour today and in my photos I found two colour ring/flagged Sanderling in a small group of about 10. No metal ring visible. Given they are only one ring different (Y vs. B on lower left) I suppose they could well be siblings.

I have reported them through Euring, but wondered if anyone on here recognises the scheme.

Mick

As an aside I found them virtually impossible to read without the photos as their legs are seldom still long enough!

Attachments

• Nov15 Sanderling CR 01.JPG
    Nov15 Sanderling CR 01.JPG
    626.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Nov15 Sanderling CR 02.JPG
    Nov15 Sanderling CR 02.JPG
    697.2 KB · Views: 99
Hi Mick
A friend saw some similar birds nearby in December last year. The blue flag indicates that they had been ringed by the Farlington Ronging group as part of a Dutch project and had been reported from various localities around Hayling Island, Chichester Harbour and the Isle of Wight.
Martin

Thanks Martin,
I'll wait to hear from Euring. The rings/flag looked fresh so it might be they were only recently caught. Likely not siblings then, just caught at the same time!
Mick

I don't suppose siblings come into the equation, just the next bird trapped chronologically or whatever.

Asking ringers, here, but would they ever use leg flags on chicks, or would the flags be too bulky for small young birds?

I have seen a red-necked stint with leg rings and a leg flag in Australia, and when I received information back after reporting the sighting it looked as if the scheme was just for birds in the winter grounds and the precious migration stopping off places.

You're right Allen of course. I just never thought it through. I ring cannon-netted gulls with a group in the UK so I should have figured it out.

It was suggested by a member here I report these birds directly to the Dutch project, and he sent me an e mail address. I have done so and it seems both birds were indeed captured together on Hayling Island by Pete Potts in Oct 2011. They have been recorded regularly between August and March along the UK South coast in each successive year (40 odd times each in fact), mainly in Chichester harbour. However one (left YY) has been recorded (2014) on the East coast of Greenland in the breeding season and on migration in N. Iceland.

Well well :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back