• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Froggy update (1 Viewer)

Definately Malky, the spawn appears to be maturing as the black spots are now very "tadpole-shaped". Probably they are just waiting for some sun!

Spawn at last.

Definately Malky, the spawn appears to be maturing as the black spots are now very "tadpole-shaped". Probably they are just waiting for some sun!

Seb, first frog spawn last night. The males seem to be outnumbering the females by 7 to 1, and only 1 toad?

Malky @ Westhill

I have tadpoles.......swarming eating their jelly and algae. :D :D There looks to be thousands and thousands of them. Malky, well done with the toad. Ive had one ever in the garden and he/she soon departed.

alcedo.atthis said:

Seb, first frog spawn last night. The males seem to be outnumbering the females by 7 to 1, and only 1 toad?

Malky @ Westhill

I know it may sound stupid but how can you tell the difference between male and female frogs?

One way to easily distinguish the sexes at this time of year is to take a look at the thumbs on the forelegs. The males have a large black pad on each thumb that helps them to grip the females during pairing. Also, if they are paired then the one on top is the male.

Frogs' spawn at WWT Barnes on Tuesday 23rd Feb. Took some children there and they were shown some from one of the ponds.

keith

i am keeping frogspawn this year and a few have hatched but they are wriggling around on the bottom none yet have come to the surface is that supposed to happen?

how long do they take to hatch and start swimming near the surface?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back