• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Tern (1 Viewer)

Peter C.

...just zis guy, you know?
Discussion thread for Black Tern. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

In another thread, I have seen a posting suggesting that the division between C. n. surinamensis ("American Black Tern") and C.n. niger ("Black Tern") has been upped to the species-level. Is there any basis for this?

Last edited:
In another thread, I have seen a posting suggesting that the division between C. n. surinamensis ("American Black Tern") and C.n. niger ("Black Tern") has been upped to the species-level. Is there any basis for this?
Hallam, N. & Lewington, I. 2009. Identification of American Black Tern. Birding World 22(9): 383-388:

"The Palearctic and Nearctic forms of Black Tern are currently regarded by the BOU and AOU as one species comprising two subspecies, C. n. niger and C. n. surinamensis. Both taxa are separable in the field in all plumages. Their breeding and wintering grounds do not overlap (so there is no interbreeding) and they also have slightly different moult timings. The criteria required to signify species status (Helbig et al. 2000) therefore appear to be satisfied and thus elevation to species rank appears to be amply justified.

Eds: As suggested by the authors, the splitting of surinamensis and niger seems overdue. In line with current evaluation, and the unambiguity of its identification in all plumages, Birding World will henceforth treat these forms as separate species, Black Tern Chlidonias niger and American Black Tern Chlidonias surinamensis."​

Richard

It's bad enough when different taxonomic committees treat birds differently but here we have two of the world's most authoritative bodies agreeing (for the moment) so a magazine that disagrees makes their own decision.

Time to save £50 or so a year I think.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back