• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frogs in NE England (1 Viewer)

Richie9

Anyone seen any yet?

When do they normally start to come out of hibernation and spawn in northern England?

Many Thanks

still a bit early, it's been very dry too, so you shouldn't see activity until the end of february at least

Richie9 said:
Anyone seen any yet?

When do they normally start to come out of hibernation and spawn in northern England?

Many Thanks

Hello Richie,
I saw my first Frog of the year in a friends garden pond in Newcastle upon Tyne yesterday. Frogs spawning depends a lot upon temperature and altitude. I have seen spawn as early as late February in some years and yet again,as late as June in others. It is seldom an accurate date can be ascertained or predicted.

Toads in my own experience tend to lay earlier than frogs, or at least they do in the uplands of Northumberland and Durham.

Harry

Richie9 said:
Hi Harry,

Does his pond have a heater by any chance?

Hello Richie,

No, there is no heater in this pond which is a very sunny position nost of the day. It is lined with black butyle rubber which is black in colour and which may absorb heat. I saw the frog sitting on the rubber edging at the side of the pond. When it saw me to took a header into the water.

I didn't see it after, that as the pond is very heavily vegetated with submerged aquatic plants. The pond is some 6' in diam. and about 2 ' deep.

Regards,

Harry

Very interesting,

I cant wait for the frogs to return to my pond this year, i dont know why but i find them really relaxing to look at because they look so laid back and at ease with everything!

Yes at last! Just been down to the pond and there was one out of the pond and one in it, both quite large, do they tend to spawn straight away or do they wait a while?

Chuffed!

they tend to do it ASAP i'll be checking the ponds this weekend, anyone seen any signs of newts in their ponds yet?

We have a Frog that is living somewhere between our garden and a neighbours. I was just filling up the birdfeeders when I heard a rustle in the corner whe I looked it was a Frog sat in the middle of a poppy plant...managed to get the camera from the table and get a few pictures before it moved. I will post them later.

Richie9 said:
Anyone seen any yet?

Many Thanks
Hello Richie, I saw a frog in the weed on the top our garden pond yesterday, I saw one on the top and one on bottom this morning, we had spawn early last year but I think it was nobbled by the frost. This year if they spawn early I am going to save it in a bucket until its safe to transfer to the nursery pond. We do this every year otherwise the spawn will be eaten by the fish.

Regards,

Roy - NE Lincs.

We had our first 3 frogs in the garden pond Wednesday evening (8th) in South Tyneside. This was the first unfrozen pond day since last week, there was drizzle at night, and there were alot of frogs out on the street on their way to ponds.
No spawn yet though, and it's about to get cold again.

Northumberland
Before the last freeze I had a count of 55 in my garden pond with a mass of spawn which was frozen in, there is another mass here at the moment I can here them from the back of the house,they are very wary and have to be approached with care,but if you just sit still for awhile they will come to the surface.
Brian
I have posted a digiscoped frogs eye thats the pond edge in the lower reflection with me just visible in the left corner and my house in the background.

There were loads about on the roads in the rain on Thursday night. The road goes over a moor top and reaches 1700ft asl.

Rob

A mass emergence of Frogs in Bowland, Lancs, yesterday (11th March) with estimates of 500+ in pools in areas of juncus infested clearfell. Always a magical sight and sound.

Bill Aspin.

Here is the one that surfaced in our garden, havn't been to do the feeders today so I don't know if it is still about.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back