• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emerald Toucanet complex (1 Viewer)

jthoppes

spectacled spiderhunter
Emerald Toucanet

Discussion thread for Emerald Toucanet. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

I just set up this disambiguation page for this complex of many names.

According to Avibase, Clements accepts this split and Howard and Moore do not.

I propose that we move these things to the shorter names Clements uses, since Clements is our sole authority for splitting them in the first place:

Black-throated (atrogularis)

Andean (albivitta)

Santa Marta (lautus)

Violet-throated (cognatus)

Wagler's (wagleri)

Blue-throated (caerogularis)

Emerald (retains prasinus)

Last edited:
Since no one objected, I went ahead and renamed this batch. See the results here.

Comments? Preferably other than "I agree with the AOU, Howard and Moore, and Gill and Wright that Clements was wrong to split these, so let's lump all seven of them back again!"

I have not had time to look at this earlier, but I think I agree with what you have done: given that the split was in the database already and that one of the authorities support that, we should keep the status quo. Naming should then follow that authority.

For completeness, I looked at the SACC web-page where they only say: proposal needed, or in other words, they have not loooked at this complex yet.

Niels

Can we get citations on what authorities use the alternative names on this disambig page?

Clements no longer accepts the split of the Emerald Toucanet complex. The only remaining authoritiy to do so is IOC. I suggest we lump them all in a big Emerald Toucanet page.
Any objections or comments?

André

Clements is the dog wagged by its tail at the moment ;) or at least it is now their policy to strictly follow AOU's two classification committees. That sometimes clash with their policy of adopting BOURC, but then it is my impression that AOU wins.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back