• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull sp. - Pett Pools, E Sussex, UK - 1st Nov (1 Viewer)

Metbirder

Hi all,

I saw a gull sp on 1st November at about 11:30 at Pett Pools in E. Sussex and its completely stumped me.

The main features I noted were the dark bill with a pale greenish-yellow tip. The bill appeared shorted and chunkier than the surrounding Herring Gulls. It was approximately a little smaller than the Herring Gulls (I would put it in the region of 50-60cm). Mirrors were present on the primaries and the back colour was similar to the Herring Gulls (other details see attached photos).

It mainly associated with the Herring gulls rather than the common gulls that were present and I only really noticed it on the water (I didn't get a flight view). It always seemed to hold its head up rather than tucked down and possibly sat a little higher in the water compared to most of the Herring Gulls.

The photos attached are all of the same bird the first image shows it in a wider context (its the bird in the centre with a dark bill, closest bird to it is a juvenile Herring Gull facing away) - the others are cropped images showing the bird and one or two Herring Gulls for comparison.

Any reasons for the id would be great as well

Cheers,
David

Attachments

• Gullsp(1).jpg
    Gullsp(1).jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Gullsp(3)frontview.jpg
    Gullsp(3)frontview.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Gullsp(4).jpg
    Gullsp(4).jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Gullsp(5).jpg
    Gullsp(5).jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Gullsp(7).jpg
    Gullsp(7).jpg
    170 KB · Views: 66
Still a Herring Gull in my opinion. Probably a sub-adult bird with a bill colour representing a colour younger than its actual age. Herring Gull sizes are rather variable, males often a good fraction larger than females so yours may be the later. Proportions also very similar to that of the surrounding HGulls.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back