• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albatross question (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
Is the bird on the left an immature Black-browed Albatross, or could it be some other species?

I believe the bird on the right is a Gibson's Albatross (Diomedea gibsoni), now split from Wandering Albatross (Diomedea exulans).

Corrections welcome.

27 August 2005, Tasman Sea off Wollongong, NSW, Australia.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Albatrosses8260078.jpg
    Albatrosses8260078.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 216
I think you are right about the bird on the left being an immature Black-browed Albstross. The other bird looks like some species of the Wardering Albatross group
(exulans, antipodensis, gibsoni) but i don't know which, the Wandering Albatrosses are so variable. Most antipodeans have more brown on crown, most snowys are often whiter. So I would say it is either a young snowy, a middle-aged gibson's, or an old antipodean.

Yep Black-browed it is.the very dark brow gives it away.AS for the Wandering I don't have a clue on splits.

Cheers,

Dimitris

G'day,

I feel the larger one is either a Wanderer (Diomeda exulans) or a Southern Royal (Diomeda epomophora). The pinkness of the bill sways me towards the former.

BTW: Simpson and Day's Field Guide is very good on sea birds seen in these parts.

Thanks. I wasn't really worried about the Wandering type, but more concerned about the Black-browed. It was suggested to me that it looked more like a Shy/White-capped type and that's why I posted here.

What features can we see on the photo that eliminate Shy/White-capped?

Thanks again.

Hi again,

Shy/White-capped Albatross immatures usally have rather pale bills with a strongly contrasting black tip, whereas the bills of the black-broweds, as on the photo, are quite dark.

Yet the bird does have a "shy" look to it, so won't confirm it as a black-browed.

Hi there,

This is definitely a Black-browed and not a Shy. Shys of this age would show a much paler bill with the obligatory dark tip. One can already start to see the "black brow" developing on this bird as well.

Depending on what taxonomy one follows, you must make certain to eliminate Campbell Albatross (T.m. impavida) as I think that birds of this age may still also show a dark iris.

Also, if you happened to see the bird in flight, Shys at this age would show a pale underwing with a narrow dark leading and trailing edge whilst Black-brows would show a dusky underwing.

Regards
Trevor
www.zestforbirds.co.za

Hey guys,
Just going through old seabird posts and noticed this one hadn't really been answered.

Left: First year Black-browed.. length of the brow is too long for Impavida (Campbells).

Right: Wanderer.. most likely Gibsonii given head-shape, length of bill, general colouring (too light for antipodensis, too small for exulans). However, only DNA can give a definitive answer on this (watch this space), though Gibson's is the most common albatross off Wollongong these days.

Cheers,
Damien

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back