• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Color Variation in Ruby Throated??? (1 Viewer)

jeeper

Do Ruby Throated show with considerably darker color and siginificantly less throat ruby than normal? This year I have visitors at my feeder that are so dark they do not look green, almost black, and show little if any ruby on throat area. In the area I live in its almost only ruby throated terratory but these do no look normal.

Wish I could get a picture to post but they are spookier than normal also. If you get close to window near feeder they leave.

I've dug my literature but not found anything that should be here in my area that looks right. No possible incidentals either look like my visitors.

Well Jeeper, there is considerable color variation in the gorget (throat) area especially at this time of year when the imature males are getting the color in their throat for the first time. Some may only have a spot or two created by one or two feathers especially on the sides of the gorget.
I have not noticed that the back or flanks would be distinctly darker in any though.
As far as Louisianna diversity goes, I have not heard of western hummingbirds being found there yet this season, but the state certainly has much more diversity than you are expressing. http://www.rubythroat.org/ChecklistsUSStatesMain.html shows 12 species having been recorded and photographed in the state and I correspond with a group of hummingbird enthusiasts in that state that record these birds, and band them, every year in Louisianna.
Sure would be nice if you could get a photo of these birds. I would suggest NOT trying to get close to the window but rather setting a chair close, but not too close, to the feeder and sitting still. The birds will usually show up and you can get a pretty good shot.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Black Chined is maybe close but I've not noticed the slim end of the "beak" as shown there. I'll keep looking and try a pic but don't know how much luck I'm going to have with that.

BTW Black Chined shows more green in the pic than I've noticed but I'm not saying my bird doesn't have that yet.

jeeper said:
Black Chined is maybe close but I've not noticed the slim end of the "beak" as shown there. I'll keep looking and try a pic but don't know how much luck I'm going to have with that.

BTW Black Chined shows more green in the pic than I've noticed but I'm not saying my bird doesn't have that yet.

Black-chinned is a long, slightly curved, light weight black bill. The bird overall shows a more gray green color than the Ruby-throated. The wings will fold to the tip of the tail.

Angelwings

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and just resently got hooked on these little birds. Jeeper I seen one of these RT's that your talking about a couple of weeks ago. He didn't stay long, maybe 3 days. I haven't seen him since. I looked up all the information I could and I haven't found a picture of another bird that looks like the one I seen. I just wanted you to know your not seeing things. He was rather creepy looking. It nice to know that someone else has seen one of these guys too. I live in Indiana. Where do you live?

He's back

My son just putted out the mister creepy or one that looks just as creepy. Ok it's time to get the camera out. Wish me luck.

Link pic

I checked my books after only looking at the link pic and the link pic had looked like a slender end to the bill but the books do not. Your idea about the black chin may be it but my quick views have not confirmed or denied although they do not totally say black chined.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back