• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher, Ontario (1 Viewer)

Thank you. It is definitely by the shape and everything else but it's tail has no orange colour, that's why I turned back.

Hi,

Is it real to ID this fellow?

Thanks

Do you have any other pics of it? It looks a Great Crested to my eyes but, flycatchers on this kind of pics (no offence intended) can be very tricky and it's always better to check any other images available.

Last edited:
I took a good long look at this after Motmot's suggestion of GC Flycatcher.

I think I'm seeing an Empidonax, but it does seem to have an awfully large head. I do think that the strong wing bars and suggestion of eye-ring point to an Empid. If so, I'd say Willow/Alder.

Not sure, but I think that's the guy. Willow?

Attachments

• 20200729-IMG_4664.jpg
    20200729-IMG_4664.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200729-IMG_4668.jpg
    20200729-IMG_4668.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 21
Empids are a nightmare. There is no practical way to separate Willow from Alder unless you hear then call. In the old days they were just lumped together as Traill's Flycatcher.

I am confused. Are the second and third pictures the same bird as the first?

Not necessarily, as I wrote before, just the same spot, a small tree in a meadow. And I heard songs of both of them around there. Anyway, thats ok. Another example of how confusing could by pictures of birds :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back