• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California - Bushtit or Wrentit? (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
Seen in the California Bay Area, Shoreline. Bushtit or Wrentit? I say Bushtit, but am I right? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 2020-10-15_17-44-55_PA151166.jpg
    2020-10-15_17-44-55_PA151166.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2020-10-15_17-48-10_PA151200.jpg
    2020-10-15_17-48-10_PA151200.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
2nd bird definitely male Bushtit - it has a dark eye.

1st bird has a pale eye, so could be either female Bushtit or Wrentit. If it was together with the 2nd bird, then female Bushtit.

They're also semi-separated by habitat - Wrentit tends to be in lower, drier chaparral (dense low stuff mostly less than a metre tall), Bushtit in moister, taller shrub & tree habitat. Does that help here? Also Bushtit often in flocks, Wrentit solitary or in pairs (family groups just after fledging only).

2nd bird definitely male Bushtit - it has a dark eye.

1st bird has a pale eye, so could be either female Bushtit or Wrentit. If it was together with the 2nd bird, then female Bushtit.

They're also semi-separated by habitat - Wrentit tends to be in lower, drier chaparral (dense low stuff mostly less than a metre tall), Bushtit in moister, taller shrub & tree habitat. Does that help here? Also Bushtit often in flocks, Wrentit solitary or in pairs (family groups just after fledging only).

I think both are Bushtits. As Nutcraker says, the dark eye is a certain indicator for the second bird. The shape of the bill and the lack of any faint streaking or mottling on the breast make the first bird a Bushtit as well.

Every time this question comes up on this forum I have to note that in life these two birds are easy to tell apart - size, calls, behavior, and often habitat are quite different. Regarding habitat, I have to disagree a bit with Nutcracker about Wrentits. Their habitat is always dense shrubby vegetation, but it can often be up to 2-3 meters tall. Bushtits can be found in the same habitats as Wrentits, but are also commonly found in both more open and taller vegetation.

Last edited:
Many thanks!

Many thanks!

Habitat was not a clear differentiation... I saw these in low dry brush, but at Shoreline park, in a portion close to where also taller brush and wetter habitat is. But behavior is: these were in a flock, and together, so bushtit it is, for both.

I truly appreciate this feedback as I learn to tell species apart!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back