• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hermit Thrush? SW New Jersey, USA, 11-11-12 (1 Viewer)

Kelly Colgan Azar

Hi!
Is this a Hermit Thrush? Photographed today in Southwestern New Jersey, USA.
Thanks very much for your help!
Best,
Kelly

Attachments

• Thrush11-11-12DSC2706_edited-1.jpg
    Thrush11-11-12DSC2706_edited-1.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 90
Looks good for one to me.
Do you have any of the tail? (hermit is noticeably reddish)
Also did it 'bob' it's tail while you were watching it? (typical behavior)

Thank you, rec1972. I just checked the other shots, they're all in the same position. I didn't notice tail bobbing, he was taken with the sound of the shutter and kept tilting his head and looking at the camera - then he flew :) If you agree, I think he must absolutely be a Hermit. Thank you very much for your help!
Best,
Kelly

Oh, more wonderful birders. Thank you also, fugl and KCFoggin. This fellow was in a mixed flock of white throated sparrows and junco. He was about about 60 miles north of Cape May and headed south. I appreciate your help with the id!
Best,
Kelly

Oh, more wonderful birders. Thank you also, fugl and KCFoggin. This fellow was in a mixed flock of white throated sparrows and junco. He was about about 60 miles north of Cape May and headed south. I appreciate your help with the id!
Best,
Kelly

Kelly... just some extra info for ya. The Hermit thrush is the only thrush that will remain in NJ over the winter... so if you see a thrush between now and roughly the end of April, it will be a Hermit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back