• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrubs for birds - What to plant? (1 Viewer)

mattsharps

Garden Birder
Hi Guys

I am interested in planting some shrubs or small plants that produce berries or foods in general for birds. So, what do you have and what birds use them? What would you recommend? Also prices etc, and when to plant them?

All advice is welcome.

MattSharps

www.hopesgrovenurseries.co.uk

No vested interest... but they are good n cheap.

Natives such as hawthorn, guilder rose, crab apples, wild pear, rowan,

Others such as cotoneaster, pryacanthus,

Any of the fruit trees that we eat, are good

And don't forget ivy!

Plant anytime in winter or early spring.. these are bare rooted , not in pots, which is why they are cheaper!

Last edited:
Do all of the above but also:-
See if you can get hold of some Himalayan Honeysuckle - Lycesteria. It produces lots of soft berries which last right through to Christmas. Attracts Thrushes, Finches, Tits, Warblers.... all of whom spread the seed so it grows everywhere!!!

This question was asked in British Birds magazine about 20 (or more?) years ago, and no less an ornithologist than Guy Mountfort suggested Lycesteria.

Jon

Another one for the list is Mahonia Charity.

It has berries on after if flowers [which is this time of year and it does bring colour to your garden] we get all the noramal garden birds in it as some come for the nectar in the flowers and some the insects....it has also attracted Blackcaps, this is the only shrub in the garden we have ever seen them in. After it stops flowering it gets berries which are eaten by the birds as well.

A Blackcap a few days ago in the Mahonia
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/225294/ppuser/21

Here is a link to a photo/details of it
http://www.wyevale.co.uk/Mahonia-x-media-Charity/0850027504,default,pd.html

This topic has been discussed before. Have a look in the 'Gardening for Birds', subforum of the garden birds forum. There is lots of good information there.

The best plants for encouraging birds are native plants. I see you are in UK. Rowan, hazelnut, holly, hawthorn, blackthorn,ivy and honeysuckle are all excellent, all are native. Ivy produces berries in the winter when there is little food. Wild cherry is good but gets very big. Silver birch, although it doesn't berry, is host to many insect species and will attract loads of birds. If you want something more ornamental that is not native that are good are cotoneasters, crab apples and most fruit trees.

Joanne

How big is the area you want to plant?

Are there any particular birds you want to encourage?

And don't forget one of the best ways of encouraging wildlife into the garden is to have a pond!

.... and there's always non shrubby plants.. teasels and rudbeckia, sunflowers, sweetcorn, ... all loved by the finches when seeding.. and all cheap and(fairly) easy from seed!

How big is the area you want to plant?

Probably should have said this first! Haven't got a pic so will have to explain. It is shaped like a quarter of a circle and is about 1.5 metres from the corner. Do you get me?

Are there any particular birds you want to encourage?

We live in Nottingham, very near to Attenborough Nature Reserve. Blackcaps, Fieldfares - you know the sort - would be nice.

And don't forget one of the best ways of encouraging wildlife into the garden is to have a pond!

We know, but we have rather a small garden. I have filled a 75cm by 30 cm bucket with water, in a feeble attempt. But I have seen a frog lurking nearby!

Anymore recommendations are welcome!

An Amelanchier or a sorbus underplanted with a guelder rose would be my choice in that space if I only had that much space (however I would be tortured eternally by the decision - I'm lucky enough to have had enough space to try pretty much all of them in).

Not a food plant but we have a large Hebe (about 6ft tall) and it is amazing how many sparrows can 'get lost' in it. It is also hangs onto its leaves over the winter. We have wood chippings underneath and the Blackbirds and Thrushes love rooting around in there for insects. There is also the benefit of lots of butterflies, moths and hoverflies around the flowers in the summer.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back