• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds and Paint (1 Viewer)

GrandmasterB

Hi, everyone! New to the boards and I had a question I hope can be answered (I already performed a search). How harmful is paint to birds? Thing is, my room (I plan on removing the wallpaper and repainting the walls) is right next to another room in the house that houses a yellow-headed amazon. I was planning on painting my room but I'm concerned that fumes from the paint will harm the bird.

It shouldn't cause any harm as long as my door is kept closed and my room is well ventilated, correct?

Hi Grandmaster, I think if you go for some of the newer water based paints with hardly any fumes, your bird should be ok. There's plenty to choose from now, just avoid the ones with spirit etc.

Of course, if in doubt, it may be better to move the bird.

Birds lungs are more sensitive than ours. That's why Canaries were used in mines. I'd move the bird regardless of which paint you use!

Ditto what the others have said...could you move the parrot to the opposite side of the house? Or have someone look after him for a couple of days until all traces of possible paint fumes have gone?

You could always try organic paint,ive heard its recommended for childrens bedrooms as its non toxic.
Dont know how it compares price wise to other paints though,could be pricey.
Let us know how you get on,
Christine

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back