• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advise for spotting scope (1 Viewer)

oldtown

Hello, I am looking for my 1st spotting scope. Was interested with Nikon monarch 82ed(received good reviews) and kowa 773. Appreciate if members can share experiences on the 2 scopes . Would to know the optical quality at 40x and above. Thanks U.

Sounds like 2 good scopes to choose from.

My younger brother has an issue 770 series Kowa and I've used it a fair bit. Personally I like it quite well.

I think maybe it just depends on what your end use is?

The Nikon is pretty good as well. I think the Kowa is better most ways around.

There are quite a few experts around that know a great deal more than I ever will...I just know what I've used and like so far. But I'd have to say the best scope I've used to date is the Kowa TSN-823. It's out of production now but I really think it's superior to the new Prominars sold today. I'd even bet a dollar to a doughnut they out-resolve the new Prominars slightly and are great if you have other uses like reading mirage, etc.

I'm still looking for Bob's review of the Nikon spotter.;) Sorry Clark I could not help myself.;) It was nice of you to post link!

Last edited:
The Monarch would appear to be the scope bargain at the moment but here in the UK it is impossible to try it out next to other scopes due to the few places that sell it and the fact that I know no birders who have one. Birders in the UK do like to spend vast amounts of money for the perceived top brands. I'd imagine you'll have a similar problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back