• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marian’s 2008 Butterflies (1 Viewer)

more butterflies

Hi Marian,

Great thread and you really are in a great place geographically to make us north europeans jealous!

We were in southern Spain a week ago and I attach pics of two of my favourite insects which were on the wing while we were there.

Dave.

Attachments

• swallowtail.jpg
    swallowtail.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 207
  • spanishfestoon.jpg
    spanishfestoon.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 198
Ian Latham said:
Lo mismo por Felipe el Fuegocresta e Sofia el Piedracharla

LOL :'D Ian!!! Fantastic Spanglish, simply priceless!!! :t:

Hi, Dave! :hi: Thank you for your couple of beautiful pics!!! Believe it or not, I've still not taken a decent pic of a Swallowtail. As for the Spanish Festoon, that is a good one to find. I've only seen it twice, and taken only distant shots. I hope to find tham both this year and take decent pictures.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in my country! o:) Cheers!

Well, Butterfly-lovers, here I have a new addition to my year list of butterflies. Yesterday we had a gorgeous day, with the Sun warming us nicely at noon, so at lunch time I paid a very quick visit to the place by the University Campus where I’ve seen most of the Butterlies during this month. And this is what I found: many Speckled Woods, Brimstones and Cleopatras, one Small White, one Peacock, 2-3 Clouded Yellow and one

9. Comma Butterfly (Polygonia c-album)

It was on the ground, and saw it in the distance so I didn’t know what it was. I took a picture and tried to get closer to find out what it was, but flew away and disappeared. I identified it in the viewfinder. So, the picture is not great but at least the critter is perfectly recognizable.

Hope you enjoy this new one! Cheers!

Attachments

• L1150303_Comma.jpg
    L1150303_Comma.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 200
Hi Marian. I have really enjoyed looking at your butterfly photos and reading the comments. I must say that I feel inspired to continue drawing them and posting them in the gallery. I am always thrilled when you leave a comment and it really means so much to me to know that my artwork is appreciated. I can now understand why you are so passionate about these lovely creatures and it certainly shows through in your photos. I have a dedication in mind that I hope you will accept and when its finished I will post it in the gallery. Watch this space? Kind regards. Steve.

Hi, Steve! :hi:

I'm so glad you enjoyed these pics! :bounce: Please keep painting Butterflies, they are a treat to watch and they are very much appreciated (not only by me)!

Looking forward to seeing what are you preparing, and thank you very much in advance! o:)

And I hope you've found here the "suggestions" you were looking for! :t:

Regards

Marian

PS: And to every Butterfly lover reading this, I invite you to visit Steve Kershaw's gallery and see his "Nature Notes" of Butterflies. I think they are beautiful!!!

By the way, there are no new updates for the moment. During this week it has been raining and cool... I hope you all are beeing luckier...

Last edited:
By the way, there are no new updates for the moment. During this week it has been raining and cool... I hope you all are beeing luckier...

Marian, I have an update for you.

Britain is entering an Ice Age!! and I will soon be posting pictures of Penguins and Polar Bears.:-O:-O

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:-C

Ian Latham said:
Marian, I have an update for you.

Britain is entering an Ice Age!! and I will soon be posting pictures of Penguins and Polar Bears.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: Sorry to hear that, Ian!!! :-C

I was expecting to hear "I've seen a ... (whatever)!!!" from somebody but it seems February is still letting down our expectations!

Cheer up! March is around the corner! Nice weather MUST arrive soon!!! It makes good to say that to everybody in this thread... for me is like visiting the psychologist to treat the frustration! o:D

Cheers!

Hello Marian,

I'm very new to BF but just having a blast with it all! I enjoy your postings and all the butterflies as well. I'm stuck here in Wisconsin with snow everywhere...I look out and dream of spring to come, and yes in chasing butterflies with my camera. Have a great day, keep it up, ChickaD

Hi, ChickaD! :hi: (love that nickname, by the way! |=)|)

First of all, wellcome to Birdforum!!! :loveme: I'm sure you'll enjoy this site, the only problem is that it is addictive! ;)

I guess Wisconsin is not a place to look for Butterflies at this time of the year. I've seen in the gallery pictures taken in Wisconsin a few days ago and... Oh My God! So much snow!!! But absolutely beautiful snowy landcapes!!! As we say in my country, "We can't have it all" (;)).

Still, I'd love to hear from you when your first Butterflies show up, I have no idea which are the first to appear in your area. I have a Field Guide to the North American Butterflies, so I'll not be "lost" even if I don't know them well.

The best to you!

Marian

Thanks Marian for the warm welcome and I will be happy to share our butterflies. My parents got me started with the birdfeeders and birdwatching years ago. My mother, God bless her, used to stand only few feet away from feeder, with sunflower seeds in her hand, Chickadees would land on her fingertips, take the seed and fly off. Life is good, ChickaD

Thanks Marian for the warm welcome and I will be happy to share our butterflies. My parents got me started with the birdfeeders and birdwatching years ago. My mother, God bless her, used to stand only few feet away from feeder, with sunflower seeds in her hand, Chickadees would land on her fingertips, take the seed and fly off. Life is good, ChickaD

You have warmed my cold day with that little story ChickaD!! I also wish to welcome you to the Forum and hope we all have a wonderful season together with many tales of our Butterfly expeditions :t:. I also look forward to learning about what Wisconsin has to offer in the way of Wildlife, maybe the Dragonflies could also become of interest?. They certainly took some rubber off my soles last year, but it was worth every minute:-O.

You have warmed my cold day with that little story ChickaD!! I also wish to welcome you to the Forum and hope we all have a wonderful season together with many tales of our Butterfly expeditions :t:. I also look forward to learning about what Wisconsin has to offer in the way of Wildlife, maybe the Dragonflies could also become of interest?. They certainly took some rubber off my soles last year, but it was worth every minute:-O.

Thank you also Ian for the warm welcome, so appreciated. ;) I do enjoy dragonflies...there is a state natural area about 15 miles from my home that I visit often, which has a small lake, with stopovers by white pelicans and other birds, and yes, many dragonflies. :-O We have beautiful state and county parks here in Wisconsin. Have a super day, ChickaD

ChickaD said:
My mother, God bless her, used to stand only few feet away from feeder, with sunflower seeds in her hand, Chickadees would land on her fingertips, take the seed and fly off. Life is good, ChickaD

:bounce: How lucky girl!!! I've seen pictures of people feeding Chickadees and other birds on hand, and I think that must be a thrilling experience! Thank you for sharing that lovely story, ChickaD!!! o:) :t:

And sorry to hear about your soles, Ian!!! ;) For this year you know now you need extra-quality soles to deal with Dragonflies! 3:)

And now, a new update! Yesterday we had a dull and miserable day. I had to go to Gijón Botanical Gardens to do the monthly Bird census. There at noon we had a couple of hours of sunshine and the Butterflies started to move around. The most numerous ones were:

10. Green-veined White (Artogeia rapae)

It seems they woke up in awful mood, as they chased Cleopatras without a break to throw them out of their territory. Others present were a Peacock, a Clouded Yellow, a Red Admiral, many Speckled Woods and 2-3 Brimstones.

I’m attaching two views of the little (but bad-tempered) white beauty, showing the up- and under-sides. I hope you like them!

Attachments

• L1150560_Green-veined White.jpg
    L1150560_Green-veined White.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 125
  • L1150574_Green-veined White.jpg
    L1150574_Green-veined White.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 124
Small Tortoiseshell

Saw my first Small Tortoiseshell of the year today - sorry if I've been asleep and you've all seen hundreds. I'm at Durlston in Dorset. The books suggest that first sightings should be later than this.

Best,

SK

Attachments

• small tortoiseshell lighthouse road 5 march 2008.jpg
    small tortoiseshell lighthouse road 5 march 2008.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 118
Saw my first Small Tortoiseshell of the year today - sorry if I've been asleep and you've all seen hundreds. I'm at Durlston in Dorset. The books suggest that first sightings should be later than this.

Best,

SK

Congrats SK.....Marian is busy at present!....she is fighting butterflies off, there are that many in Spain at the moment! While we in the UK are lucky if we get a mere glimpse of the critters.

I think if the weather was a little warmer and the sun stayed out a little longer....we would be reaping the benefits (Butterfly wise!). I saw a 'tortie' a month or so ago when we had a few nice sunny days, but zilch since.

Hi there, SK and Ian! :hi:

SK, congrats on that Tortoiseshell! :clap: No, you've not been asleep :)'D), there are not many Butterflies around, especially in England, and here only during short periods of time. In fact, I've not seen the Small Tortoiseshell yet! :-C

Ian, I'm sorry to disappoint you (;)) but my bussiness at this moment has nothing to do with Butterflies: winter came back with all its strength and now we have snow in the mountaneous outskirts on my city... no more Butterflies in several days if the weather forecast is right! :-C

But this can't last forever, and our beautiful chaps must appear properly soon everywhere! It is already March! :bounce: Please keep me updated with your findings, I'm very interested in knowing what you see and when in your patches!

Cheers!

Hi there, SK and Ian! :hi:

Ian, I'm sorry to disappoint you (;)) but my bussiness at this moment has nothing to do with Butterflies: winter came back with all its strength and now we have snow in the mountaneous outskirts on my city... no more Butterflies in several days if the weather forecast is right! :-C

But this can't last forever, and our beautiful chaps must appear properly soon everywhere! It is already March! :bounce: Please keep me updated with your findings, I'm very interested in knowing what you see and when in your patches!

Cheers!

What a blow Marian!:eek!:

I was hoping that your accounts would keep my pecker up and speed the transition from Winter to Spring. It seems that Winter (part 2) has fallen on more than my own doorstep! :-C

Perhaps this is Winters way of bowing out:t: and the good weather is just around the corner.:D Lets hope so Senorita Mariposa.:t:

Ian and the others:

I've checked the weather forecast and it seems we all will have to comfort each other here while waiting for better times to find some of our colourful friends! Bad weather seems to be spreading everywhere! :-C

It wasn't in my mind when I started this thread, but I'm posting something taken last year to make shorter the wait! This is a Turquoise Blue (Plebicula dorylas), taken by my sister last August during our holiday in the Pyrenees. I think it turned out beautifully so I thought it might be a good idea to share it here for all of you to enjoy it, while we wait for warm temperatures!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Turquoise Blue.jpg
    Turquoise Blue.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 144
Hi Marian...what a beautiful, almost powder blue butterfly you have, thanks so much for including this one! Please excuse me on still getting lost on BF...I think well, I know I was there a few days ago and then it all comes back! :) Thanks all for putting up with me anyway, it's appreciated, ChickaD

ChickaD, it is a pleasure to have you among us, no "put up with" at all!!! :-O This is a huge site, so take your time to learn to navigate here! :t:

Well, folks, the gales are apparently over and sunshine is more or less back. I've not found new Butterflies but I managed a record shot of a Red Admiral (now I have a decent pic of all the Butterflies I've found this year) and, the most important thing, I could take proper macro-shots of a Brimstone for the first time ever. I wanted to share this beautiful male with all of you, so here it is.

Hope you like it! Cheers!

Attachments

• L1150795_Red Admiral.jpg
    L1150795_Red Admiral.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN4752_male Brimstone_El Cristo Mar08.jpg
    DSCN4752_male Brimstone_El Cristo Mar08.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 121
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back