• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teaching classes for beginning birders (1 Viewer)

I have been asked to teach some classes for beginning birders. One of the classes is an outdoor field session--no problem. However, I also have a 2 1/2 hour indoor session one day. I don't know what I'm going to do with that much time. I have some interesting bird ID stuff I'm going over and some local bird feeding information I'd like to share, but that won't be enough.

Does anyone have any ideas, handouts, curriculum, etc. that would be appropriate for something like this? I suppose I'll have 15-20 individuals in this session.

If you actually have documents you can share, my email address is:dingermcduff 'at' hotmail.com

Thanks.

Adults presumably?

Bird names and meanings (interesting old/historical)
Intro to Latin meanings eg White fronted goose= albi frons =white fronted.
Get a cd of some bird songs/calls
Drawing a bird - labelling the different areas to help with note taking/ noticing differences to help id birds eg primaries, mantle etc

Sorry just a few ideas rather than specific help!

Does anyone have any ideas, handouts, curriculum, etc. that would be appropriate for something like this? I suppose I'll have 15-20 individuals in this session.

Thanks.

It may be worth contacting your nearest Audubon Centre, they may have some teaching resources/materials you could use/buy or at least let you use one of their teaching programs to base a session on.

Migration habits never fail to impress!

I've been teaching adult beginning birders for 12 years, in classes of 40 to 60 persons twice a year, and I soon noticed that slides only was becoming boring for the audience.
So I began drawing birds in a simple way, explaining how anyone could make his own field notes no matter how bad his or hers drawing skills. The use of anecdotes you have personally experienced in the field is a great way to get people relaxed, a good laugh is just what is needed every now and then to ease everybody up and get them sharp again on more serious notes.
Try to show passion in every aspect of your teaching, this will be highly appreciated and it will arouse people's enthusiasm to actually go out birdwatching.
Some big, stuffed birds, especially birds of prey and owls, are also good props to have.
If you can, alternate between slides, drawings, anecdotes or whatever, to be sure people's attention is still with you.

Even silly things like urban legends are great, everybody will have an opinion and may participate in an active way.

When introducing bird sounds do not only use a CD player, but don't be afraid to do some impersonations yourself, even if they are dreadful. Try it at home first, you'll be more confident in front of your audience, but remember, a good laugh is often more appreciated than a whole CD of bird calls.

My experience is, that when you are willing to show passion as well as comic relief, people will learn the most.

My two cents, good luck!

Regards, Ronald

I've been teaching adult beginning birders for 12 years, in classes of 40 to 60 persons twice a year, and I soon noticed that slides only was becoming boring for the audience.
So I began drawing birds in a simple way, explaining how anyone could make his own field notes no matter how bad his or hers drawing skills. The use of anecdotes you have personally experienced in the field is a great way to get people relaxed, a good laugh is just what is needed every now and then to ease everybody up and get them sharp again on more serious notes.
Try to show passion in every aspect of your teaching, this will be highly appreciated and it will arouse people's enthusiasm to actually go out birdwatching.
Some big, stuffed birds, especially birds of prey and owls, are also good props to have.
If you can, alternate between slides, drawings, anecdotes or whatever, to be sure people's attention is still with you.

Even silly things like urban legends are great, everybody will have an opinion and may participate in an active way.

When introducing bird sounds do not only use a CD player, but don't be afraid to do some impersonations yourself, even if they are dreadful. Try it at home first, you'll be more confident in front of your audience, but remember, a good laugh is often more appreciated than a whole CD of bird calls.

My experience is, that when you are willing to show passion as well as comic relief, people will learn the most.

My two cents, good luck!

Regards, Ronald

Sounds excellent advice!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back