• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (2 Viewers)

Forsinard - Short Eared Owl, male Hen Harrier, Redpoll, Linnet, Siskin and Pippits galore.

Prize of the day though went to the Sky Larks. Talk about blasting the song out! One thing of note: Signs up every where letting the RSPB know they are unwelcome there.. and carrying a spotting scope and binos I got the stink eye all day.from the locals I came.across.

What's changed there, Ratal, to cause that? The RSPB have been there for yonks.

Thanks for the info folks - not a nice feeling walking around there to be frank. Glad to hit the train back to be honest.

Reading the article, its really sad they didnt opt for the hotel - its a beautiful location amd would of in my eyes kept the 'local' feeling.

Thanks for the info folks - not a nice feeling walking around there to be frank. Glad to hit the train back to be honest.

Reading the article, its really sad they didnt opt for the hotel - its a beautiful location amd would of in my eyes kept the 'local' feeling.

Yes, but is it sensibly placed in relation to the reserve?

John

Skuas on Handa

A bit of advice please if someone can help. Is the week commencing April 28th too early to see Great and Arctic Skuas on Handa? All advice welcome :)

A bit of advice please if someone can help. Is the week commencing April 28th too early to see Great and Arctic Skuas on Handa? All advice welcome :)

Great Skua will certainly be about. prepare for some nifty territorial defensive flying!

Stonechats, Cuckoos and Sandpipers on the single track road down to the ferry as well RW. Rock Doves from where the ferry departs. Unfortunately the sailing was cancelled when we were there due to rough seas. Going to try again on the 29th of May.

Good luck,

Rich

I'm in Aviemore on a walking holiday with my better half this weekend (11th April). I also want to do some birding and I have the most recent edition of Gordon's excellent book which will be of great use. We did the same last year and saw some fantastic scenery and wildlife but didn't manage to see crossbills despite extensive searching or Capercaille at 3 morning watches at Loch Garten which was a bit unlucky. Does anyone know if Capers and Crossbills being seen currently?

Neil.

Well, if its anything like the appalling carbuncle at Rainham I don't blame 'em. Simple solution: design something harmonious!

John

John,

Out of interest, at a post-industrial Thames-side bumhole like Rainham/Purfleet (it's ok, I can say that as a local) what would you design in place of what's there?

Lairg, Highlands.

Lairg.jpg

:t:

Started the day well! Crossbills, Crested Tit and Redstart, all within the first 15 minutes of arriving.

Dipper flying to and fro added to the awesome, and Osprey low over head. Didn't think it could get much better than that, then a wailing call floated across the Loch made me spin like a top praying to all the birding Gods and Goddesses of Olympus.

Lairg bridge.png

A pair of Black Throated Divers.

:eek!:

One of those moments in life where all the pieces just drop right into your lap as if organised.

John,

Out of interest, at a post-industrial Thames-side bumhole like Rainham/Purfleet (it's ok, I can say that as a local) what would you design in place of what's there?

Almost anything, but at a minimum I would take a leaf out of the industrial estate on the North side of the A249 on the approach to the Swale bridges and shade the building lighter from bottom to top so it simply becomes invisible in normal lighting conditions. (These are huge industrial sheds I'm talking about and you can hardly see them: amazing!)

Are you suggesting that Rainham's environs are so awful that anything goes? I would have hoped the RSPB would try to lead the way out of visual vandalism.

John

Quick report after day one up here.

American Coot at Loch Flemington this morning. Probably the easiest, 'rarest' bird I have ever seen!

At Burghead in the afternoon, no sign of the White-Billed Diver but we did enjoy good views of Great Northern and Red-throated looking stunning. 4 Long-tailed Ducks also coming into their own in terms of plumage, the males anyway. A pod of 6+ Bottlenose Dolphins provided a particularly memorable experience.

A walk around part of Roseisle Forest delivered Crested Tit (we had to work for them!), Stacks of Siskin and a displaying Tree Pipit.

Findhorn tomorrow; thanks for the advice I have received.

Cheers,
Jim.

Decent day today exploring Findhorn Valley and Farr Road.

5 Slavonian Grebes in summer plumage on Loch Ruthven, a more than pleasant change to seeing this species in drab winter plumage in East Anglia!
Common Buzzards, Peregrine, Red Kite, possible Merlin and Kestrel were our haul of Raptors; gutted to miss out on any Eagles (again, thanks to those who took the time to PM me). Raven, Common Crossbill, Redpoll sp, Dipper, Grey Wagtail and Wheatear all seemingly common up and down the valley.

Couple of mammal ticks- Arctic Hare and Feral Goat! Also a Water Vole from the hide at Loch Ruthven and my friend saw a Weasel here too.

Wilderness= found. Eagles= MIA.

Now discussing/planning tomorrow!

Cheers,
Jim.

Couple of mammal ticks- Arctic Hare and Feral Goat! Also a Water Vole from the hide at Loch Ruthven and my friend saw a Weasel here too.

Wilderness= found. Eagles= MIA.

Now discussing/planning tomorrow!

Cheers,
Jim.

Mountain rather than Arctic, even if it was white! Good mammal day though - I'm gripped! Roll on next Wednesday....

John

Great day's birding today in Abernethy Forest. A crested tit on the walk to Loch Mallachie. A number of sightings of crossbills around Forest Lodge. Unfortunately no Capers today at Caper watch. Also headed north and saw the American Coot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back