• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few moths at last (1 Viewer)

Angus T said:
me make note, to read my posts before submitting, lost count the amount of times I've made that note.

It's a mild night here, 9C, seems to be plenty moths about.
Hope you get some good ones, Angus!
I was optimistic about the weather here as it was about 10 deg C during the day but it quickly fell to about 2 deg. Looks as if this week was a bit of a false start to spring.
Ken

Definitely milder here this evening and at least two March Moths (my first this year) in at the actinic fairly early. My first Bumble Bee today as well.

Just one small brindled beauty last night (temp 0.9 deg C by bed time).
Ken

Attachments

• small_brindled_beauty.jpg
    small_brindled_beauty.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Trap list Wicklow VC H20

Increase in numbers compared to couple nights ago, though the actinic got less. Weather started 9-10C and calmish and ended at 6C and blustery. First Small Quaker of year, similar date to previous 2 years.

Farmyard MV 12 species 84 moths
Garden MV 9 species 50 moths
15W Actinic 6 species 18 moths.

17 species 152 moths
0663 Diurnea fagella 3
1061 Acleris literana 1
1663 March Moth (Alsophila aescularia) 5
1852 Brindled Pug (Eupithecia abbreviata) 3
1862 Double-striped Pug (Gymnoscelis rufifasciata) 1
1917 Early Thorn (Selenia dentaria) 1
1926 Pale Brindled Beauty (Phigalia pilosaria) 2
1930 Oak Beauty (Biston strataria) 1
1934 Dotted Border (Agriopis marginaria) 1
2182 Small Quaker (Orthosia cruda) 1
2187 Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi) 57
2188 Clouded Drab (Orthosia incerta) 16
2190 Hebrew Character (Orthosia gothica) 39
2237 Grey Shoulder-knot (Lithophane ornitopus lactipennis) 2
2243 Early Grey (Xylocampa areola) 4
2256 Satellite (Eupsilia transversa) 1
2258 Chestnut (Conistra vaccinii) 2

EDIT:- looks like I won't be putting lists up this year, as the formatting is not holding. Don't know what has changed.

Last edited:
Here in Brighton it's still pretty cold but last night did produce:

Hebrew Character
Common Quaker
Early Grey
March Moth
Double striped pug

Which is fairly typical for my garden at this time of year.

It's 9 deg C, mostly clouded, 2% moon at 17.27 hrs. You'd think it was perfect for moths. The only problem is that we've got an 18 mph westerly wind blowing at the moment. I could do with a less exposed garden! It'll be interesting to see if the moths fly in these conditions.
Ken

Surreybirder said:
click on the red "reply" box under your posting and you'll see all the formatting tags.
Ken
I don't see the formatting tags, perhaps because my setting is on "enhanced interface" ?

Started raining here and blustery as well. 8C. Not putting traps on.

Surreybirder said:
It's 9 deg C, mostly clouded, 2% moon at 17.27 hrs. You'd think it was perfect for moths. The only problem is that we've got an 18 mph westerly wind blowing at the moment. I could do with a less exposed garden! It'll be interesting to see if the moths fly in these conditions.
Ken
I had 11 moths of 6 species. I switched the trap off at about 10.30, and there was a violent hailstorm shortly afterwards.
2 March moth
2 Satellite
3 Common quaker
1 small quaker
2 small brindled beauty
1 chestnut
(I think :bounce: )

Attachments

• small-and-common-quaker-small.jpg
    small-and-common-quaker-small.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 86
  • chestnut1a.jpg
    chestnut1a.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Enforced absence

Hi all,
Missed out at the weekend - up in the Forest of Bowland, Lancs with kids and grandson. Looking at the weather it doesn't seem to have been too warm here either. Put out two traps last night - temp varied from 4.8 to 1.4 deg C and it showed in the catch. 4 moths in one trap and 3 in the other - 1 each of PBB, Oak Beauty, Small Quaker, Common Quaker, Hebrew Character, Chestnut and the one on the photos attached.
But for one or two points I'd have had it as another Yellow Horned:
1) lack of bright orange/yellow antennae
2) head markings - white spot inside dark brown area - this does not look like wear!
3) white marks along leading edge of wings - this could be wear except from the top view it looks like genuine colour.
I still have it in the fridge.
Any comments welcome.
Pete H

Attachments

• Macro 4416t.jpg
    Macro 4416t.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Macro 4436t.jpg
    Macro 4436t.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 92
Pete Haynes said:
Hi all,
But for one or two points I'd have had it as another Yellow Horned:
1) lack of bright orange/yellow antennae
2) head markings - white spot inside dark brown area - this does not look like wear!
3) white marks along leading edge of wings - this could be wear except from the top view it looks like genuine colour.
I still have it in the fridge.
Any comments welcome.
Pete H

Hi Pete,

1) Antennae look OK to me - I wouldn't describe most of the examples I've seen as having 'bright' orange antennae, some are quite dull.
2) Looks like wear
3) From Waring: 'Forewing grey with greenish-white or white frosting, especially on central portion of costa but varying in extent.' (my italics).

YH in my book

HTH

Hi Mike/Angus,
I think it probably is a Yellow Hornes, just cos there doesn't seem to be anything else to fit. I managed just now to obtain another photo of this very helpful little moth with its wings open wide. I just tipped it out of the jar and that's how it settled! Mike, does this help at all?
Pete H

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back