• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens caps for Nikon ED78? (1 Viewer)

Jon73

Dear BirdForumers

After some great advice from this group we now proudly own a Nikon ED78 with a 38x WF eyepiece that was bought from eBay at a good price. Although the case looks good, I have followed other advice on this forum and bought an Opticron Imagic 80 case for £20 for field use/better waterproofing.

The only things missing were the rubber caps for either end that are probably sensible. I have scoured this forum for solutions, but no success. Is there a generic source of objective lens caps to be found (the lens is obviously 78mm I guess and the outer rim is approx 88mm)? I can only find Nipon and frustratingly they only have 81-83mm and 102-104mm.

There are various mug-shaped universal silicon efforts on Amazon, but a few reports mention leaving streaks on the lens. Anyone have experience of these/recommendations?

Many thanks, Jon

If the outside of the objective is slightly rubbery you could look to 3D print a custom cap that would push fit over the end, very simple to design given the measurement. Make a wee bit overside and use tiny bits of tape to get a nice snug fit. I’ve dine this for several pairs of binocukars.

Peter

SRB Griturn, Speed Graphic, Opticron or Optical Vision Ltd scopes may have something suitable.
Perhaps a camera lens cap.

Maybe a local camera shop, if there is one. They used to have boxes of lens caps.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
I used to be based in Anchor Street, Chelmsford.
Maybe houses nowadays.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back