• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Coventry garden Moths (1 Viewer)

Reader said:
Now that I have re-posted the kitten in two more poses does that help. Also any input on the two micros I attached yesterday.

1. D. alpinana or D. flavidorsana.
2. Agreed on E. profundana.

SHowarth said:
Perhaps I could share your thread, since I'm mothing in my Coventry back garden too. Coincidentally, I had my first Shark a couple of days ago too. Haven't taken any pictures yet. Dingy Footman added last night takes my garden list to within eight of 300 within two and a half years. One or two others in the fridge which could add more still. Should get to the landmark by the end of the year.

It would be good to compare what we are catching in the same city. I am based fairly close to Coombe Abbey to give you an idea where I am.

John

hjalava said:
1. D. alpinana or D. flavidorsana.
2. Agreed on E. profundana.

Thanks Harri

What would the difference be between the two you have nominated for the first moth.

Edit: Now that I am home I have looked at the two moths and to me (looking on ukmoths) flavidorsana seems to have markings towards the back end of the wings and alpinana is a plainer moth. I would favour alpinana looking at those two. what do you think?

John

Last edited:
Reader said:
Which moth is that you are talking about Brian?

John

The Kitten (Furcula furcula/bifida). Just be nice to have it confirmed as Sallow.

As it says on UKmoths the Dichroramphas are best separated on genitalia.

Reader said:
It would be good to compare what we are catching in the same city. I am based fairly close to Coombe Abbey to give you an idea where I am.

John

I'm right on the other side of the city in Eastern Green. Just as a sample, here's last night's catch list (in the order I wrote them down, not sorted).

Yellow-barred Brindle 1
Bordered White 1 (nfy)
Marbled Beauty 7
Riband Wave 9
Mother of Pearl 6
Blastobasis lignea 20
Scopariinae sp. 3
Silver Y 22
Agriphila tristella 9
Flame Shoulder 1
Common Rustic agg. 34
Large Yellow Underwing 4
Scalloped Oak 3
Light Brown Apple Moth 17
Common Carpet 1
Argyresthia goerdartella 1
Agriphila straminella 3
Bryotropha affinis 11
Brimstone Moth 1
Borkhausenia fuscecens 1
Willow Beauty 1
The Rustic 1
Poplar Hawk Moth 1
Udea prunalis 1
Bird-cherry Ermine 1
Mouse Moth 1 (nfy)
Small Fan-footed Wave 1
Flounced Rustic 2 (nfy)
Azalea Leaf Miner 1 (nfy)
Diamondback Moth 3
Cloaked Minor 2
Shuttle-shaped Dart 2
Smoky Wainscot 1
Bryotropha domestica 1
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing 3
Straw Dot 1
Early Thorn 1
Celypha striana 1
Trachycera advenella 1
Dingy Footman 1 (new to garden)
Euzophera pinguis 2 (nfy)
Six-striped Rustic 1 (nfy)
Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing 1

I make than 186 moths of 42 species (+ 2 aggregates). Just realised that number of individuals is the second highest I've ever had although the number of species is much further down the list.

Here are a couple of pictures from the above list plus one of the Shark I mentioned earlier. Hope I've got the IDs right.

Attachments

• Azalea Leaf Miner.JPG
    Azalea Leaf Miner.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Dingy Footman.JPG
    Dingy Footman.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 86
  • The Shark.JPG
    The Shark.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 93
That's certainly an impressive list there. Quite a few I haven't seen in my garden yet but I doubt if I moth anywhere near as much as you do. I am probably missing quite a few on the many days that I don't do any mothing.

John

brianhstone said:
The Kitten (Furcula furcula/bifida). Just be nice to have it confirmed as Sallow.

As it says on UKmoths the Dichroramphas are best separated on genitalia.

Hi Brian

Reading Warings it states that the Sallow's cross band is more irregular on the outer edge than it is on the Poplar and my image seems to show that difference.

John

brianhstone said:
Looks pretty bad for a Dun-bar if you ask me ;)

The other two are Red/Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet (Xanthorhoe spadicearia/ferrugata)

Hi Brian

I have zoomed this one up and on the bottom left of the wing you can just about make out a twin spot (missing - presumed worn away - on the right wing).

I am now happy with Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet as the proper ID.

Thanks Brian for pointing me in the right direction.

John

Reader said:
Hi Brian

Reading Warings it states that the Sallow's cross band is more irregular on the outer edge than it is on the Poplar and my image seems to show that difference.

John

Agreed. The moth is clearly F. furcula. A beautiful picture!

hjalava said:
Agreed. The moth is clearly F. furcula. A beautiful picture!

Thanks again for your help on this one. I must admit that I was fairly confident with my ID of this moth.

It is a beauty isn't it.

John

Reader said:
Hi Brian

I have zoomed this one up and on the bottom left of the wing you can just about make out a twin spot (missing - presumed worn away - on the right wing).

I am now happy with Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet as the proper ID.

Thanks Brian for pointing me in the right direction.

John

I agree with Brian that it looks like a perfectly good normal Red Twin-spot Carpet to me (X.spadicearia). The red form of Dark-barred TSC is rare - to the point of non-existence in some parts of the country - and in Hants we wouldn't be happy with any claims of it without gen.det. Bizarre that DBTSC has the scientific name ferrugata!

Last edited:
While we are on the subject can you remind me where the reference to underwing pattern appeared. Someone examined a lot of confirmed specimens and found the pattern to be consistenty different. It might have been on UKMoths (Yahoogroup) but I can't find it.

I should have said underside of forewings. I'm sure it appeared somewhere not too long ago. the difference was quite marked and considered quite easy to determine. I remember thinking it would be handy as these have a tendency to rest with the wings closed anyway. I'll keep looking.

A few more for you to judge and pass sentence on. :'D

1. Male Bee Moth?
2. Female Bee Moth?
3. Poss Lychnis
4. Poss Red Twin-spot Carpet
5. This one for Brian. I caught another Sallow Kitten last night and this one was markedly smaller than the other one I photographed as you can see by the Graph paper under it.

John

Attachments

• Poss Bee Moth 7645.jpg
    Poss Bee Moth 7645.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 101
  • poss Bee Moth 7843.jpg
    poss Bee Moth 7843.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Poss Lychnis 7789.jpg
    Poss Lychnis 7789.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Poss Red Twin-spot Carpet 7747.jpg
    Poss Red Twin-spot Carpet 7747.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Sallow Kitten 7816.jpg
    Sallow Kitten 7816.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back