• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge v DSLR v Compact System etc (1 Viewer)

Wildmoreway

In fact, I see the market changing in totally the opposite way to Ben Gottesman. Instead of dSLRs dying away, I think we're going to see the death of the bridge camera and the PnS, leaving the market split between dSLRs (for people who want to take real photos) and camera-phones.

Fasciating to read this comment several months later with the arrival of the likes of the Fuji HS10 and Panasonic FZ45 and FZ100. No sign of the "imminent" death of the bridge camera, in fact the reverse and quite a few people using these cameras to take real photos. I chose not to wait for the FZ45 or FZ100 but bought an FZ38 and I have been very impressed with it all it really needs on an external mic socket for the video. By the way I have just bought a s/hand Nikon D90.

Its also fascinating to watch how the large sensor compact market is developing, actually with DSLRs, Brige Cameras and Compact System cameras each actually seems to be creating and enlarging its own niche with some overlap between each type of system.

Last edited:
Bridge cameras

Fasciating to read this comment several months later with the arrival of the likes of the Fuji HS10 and Panasonic FZ45 and FZ100. No sign of the "imminent" death of the bridge camera, in fact the reverse and quite a few people using these cameras to take real photos. I chose not to wait for the FZ45 or FZ100 but bought an FZ38 and I have been very impressed with it all it really needs on an external mic socket for the video. By the way I have just bought a s/hand Nikon D90.

Its also fascinating to watch how the large sensor compact market is developing, actually with DSLRs, Brige Cameras and Compact System cameras each actually seems to be creating and enlarging its own niche with some overlap between each type of system.

I have the Panasoninc FZ18 and now the FZ100 and have got some great shots with both, although more so with the FZ18, as I've had it a lot longer. I think that the newer breed of "bridge" cameras are improving all the time and can go close to rivaling a DSLR in both terms of speed and picture quality, but it depends on the available light. In poorer light they don't perform so welldue to their smaller sensors. However, one of their great advantages is their compact size and lighter weight. I think we'll see them around for some time to come. I know the FZ100 generated an enormous amount of interest before it was released, so that indicates to me that there's a market wanting a product.

I would say point and shoots are likely to die away as camera phones get more advanced, but think there is always going to be a market for bridge cameras especially for something like wildlife photography where the lenses required with a DSLR make it far too expensive for many people. As technology continues to advance, bridge cameras may become so good that no-one other than real pro's will bother with a DSLR.

I would say point and shoots are likely to die away as camera phones get more advanced,.

I did use a Samsung U600 Camera phone for a while, whilst it was not up to my needs camera wise it was certainly the equal of the basic point and shoots of five years ago, so this is something I can see happening, especially if the camera functions can be made more user friendly.

I agree. Like you, lots of people have both. I use my bridge camera and my SLR about equally. If the quality of the picture is the over-riding thing I'd use the SLR but my bridge camera is always on me when I'm birding - just in case. I certainly wouldn't want to be without both options.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back