• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify deer species Huntingdonshire (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

Saw a group of 4 deer this morning in a field in open farmland, with few trees. Two feeding, two keeping watch. The two keeping watch were not happy that
I had pulled my car into a layby to watch them, even though I was viewing at long distance through bins. I am used to seeing Muntjac around and Chinese water deer. Have seen Red deer in Scotland and Roe deer down south. I got the bins out because they were not Muntjac (much bigger), we haven't got Red and Roe as far as I know, so I thought they might be Chinese water deer. I could clearly see white rumps. Is it possible that they were Sika?
Many thanks
Amelia

The description is a bit short on detail, but white rumps will rule out CWD unless they were running with their tails up. In any case CWD are not much bigger than Muntjac.

Cambridgeshire holds Roe and Fallow Deer, either of which will show a white rump. Fallow however have a black-striped tail and black borders to the rump.

I'm not sure about possibilities of Red and Sika but no doubt Mark will resolve that later.

John

Although several other deer can't be ruled out from the description I would hazard a guess at Roe Deer. They thrive in farmland with few trees and often feed in small groups. Further more their white rumps really stand out, especially in winter.

Red Deer are thinly distributed through the centre of Cambs
Sika deer very occasional from NW cambs
Fallow Deer are restricted to the South and NW of the county
Roe deer are common and widespread in cambs particularly in the central area
Muntjac are common in all of Cambs
Chinese water deer are restricted to a couple of areas in the fens

A location may help but as suggested likely to be Roe Deer

Mark

Thank you Mark.
Didn't look like Roe deer. The colour was like red deer (although I was a distance away) What showed up clearly was the rump.
I spotted them between Wistow and Upwood - approx 5/6 miles from Huntingdon.
Will look out for them tomorrow and take a camera just in case.
Thanks for your reply

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back