• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TL APO804, Telenegative improving corner sharpness (1 Viewer)

Tord

The TLAPO804 is a great little scope but suffers from softness in the corners. I believe Fernando explained in a post quite some time ago it is caused by not using field flattener. I does not matter in practice for bird photography, so I have not bothered about it.

When testing the other day I happened to find out that using a telenegative (~1.45x, from a stripped Zuiko 100-200 zoom lens) seems to improve the corner sharpness. Is that positive side effect possible? Or is it an illusion?

Attaching two photos of same res chart photographed at 8 meters with same light conditions.

Attachments

• TLAPO_80_480mm_F6_full_res_chart_.jpg
    TLAPO_80_480mm_F6_full_res_chart_.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 109
  • TLAPO_80_TN_700mm_F8_7_full_res_chart_.jpg
    TLAPO_80_TN_700mm_F8_7_full_res_chart_.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 105
Hard to say from that test because the TN is going to give you a boost in sharpness anyway. You would have to do it so that the test chart is about 1/3 the hight of the frame and placed in the corner of the frame on both shots, which means you would have to be closer with the scope without the TN. Then crop and balance the exposure and WB.

The TN's act like a barlow so I'd guess you get a different shaped light cone. The light cone with a TN will be a bigger diameter than without it and so the soft part of the image will now fall outside of the cameras sensor.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back