• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify bird from its song. (1 Viewer)

Hello, am completely new to this site but have been watching birds for about 70 years. I posed my question on the "main" forum and it was suggested I try here. Recently moved from the East Coast. I live overlooking Clear Lake and In the early morning, I hear a low bubbly sound from a tree and it is immediately answered. I have listened to a brown-headed cowbird, a barn owl, etc (on an Internet site) but no luck! It sounds a little like a roller canary sound, deep, gurgily (is that a word?) -- like water running over stones in a brook -- very soft, like gargling. Have heard it for about 10 days now, early, but never later in the day. It fascinates and frustrates me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello, am completely new to this site but have been watching birds for about 70 years. I posed my question on the "main" forum and it was suggested I try here. Recently moved from the East Coast. I live overlooking Clear Lake and In the early morning, I hear a low bubbly sound from a tree and it is immediately answered. I have listened to a brown-headed cowbird, a barn owl, etc (on an Internet site) but no luck! It sounds a little like a roller canary sound, deep, gurgily (is that a word?) -- like water running over stones in a brook -- very soft, like gargling. Have heard it for about 10 days now, early, but never later in the day. It fascinates and frustrates me. Any suggestions? Thanks.
If you have an iPhone or Android phone, there is an excellent app available called Merlin Bird Id. It has nice pictures, range maps most important to me recordings of bird vocalizations . Its also free and well worth the cost.

Hello, The sounds I heard recently (no longer are the birds in my trees) could very well be the Western Screech Owl -- calling back and forth. As I remember my calls were more gurgling, but they sound the same. Have not seen Stellar Jays around.

The one "Eastern" bird that I miss is the very common robin. They meant so much to me when I was a child in New Jersey (Could see the top of the Empire State Building from my bedroom window -- what wonderful dreams I had then) Occasionally, I see waves of robins here in the early spring -- only for a day or so -- and then they are off somewhere else.

Many, many thanks for your help.

Richard -
Here in western NC, early morning sounds are often Carolina Wrens that make a wide variety of sounds, including bubbly type sounds. They also sing antiphonally, that is, back and forth in turn between two wrens. I'm not suggesting they are Carolina Wrens but they may be Bewick's or some other western wren species.

Steve

Western Meadowlark. Red-winged Blackbird. Common Raven. All make a 'gurgling' call and should be reasonably common where you are located.

A recording would significantly increase the chances of a positive ID.

Hi Neighbor,
I'm in Kelseyville and hear the sounds now and then before the sun comes up. It's a western screech owl and at this time of year it's not uncommon to hear another one answering.
This is the first year we've had the stellar's jays in our neighborhood and you can't miss their loud screeching. You can also find them at the Clear Lake State Park.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back