• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

N.E.London yesterday, Silver-washed Fritillary meets Birder ''Head-On'' (1 Viewer)

KenM

Whilst out Birding yesterday I bumped into a colleague who had discovered a couple of Silver-washed Fritillaries, one of which had made repeated landings on his head!

He mentioned that he had applied sunscreen factor 50 before leaving the house and had been trying unsuccessfully to image the SWF (with his phone...not easy :eek!:). After a circa ten minute wait we were duly given a last repeat performance, which I was fortunate enough to image to the delight of both of us.

I don't know if SWF has been recorded doing this before, I presume the ''cocktail'' of chemical ingredients must have been proving irresistible on this occasion?

I suggested that he might try the same (albeit of a different composition) for Purple Emperor...needless to say he thought he might give that one a miss. ;)

Attachments

• P1980220.jpeg  Silver Surfers 1..jpg
    P1980220.jpeg Silver Surfers 1..jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 44
A lot of species do this, we had a Heath Fritllary that we literally, could not shake off.

It sat on our camera bag as we walked back to the car and just would not budge, I had to remove it so we could drive home and Poplar Admiral, nearly always, land on my shoes.

Attachments

• 20140707130211406.jpg
    20140707130211406.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180627062145584.jpg
    20180627062145584.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Interesting that in the SWF and in your HF shot andy, they both appear to be “nectaring” with their respective proboscis?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back