• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2019 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

muba

Having booked an early April holiday in S.R. Sicily I thought this would provide me with my first orchids in flower for the year. Perhaps not so! The wardens at Durleston have reported that the Early Spiders amd Early Purples are pushing up very nicely thank you! I feel the need for a long deive coming on. This is a photo from 2017

Attachments

• Durl2017ESO3.jpg
    Durl2017ESO3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 56
A couple of weeks ago I stopped off to see if the Llay Bee Orchids were coming along. They certainly are!

Attachments

• Llay2019abee1.jpg
    Llay2019abee1.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 72
Dancing Ledge

The Early Spider Orchids are beginning to flower near Dancing Ledge, Purbeck, Dorset. They are still easy to miss, barely standing out higher than the grass, but give them a week or so and they will be standing proud.

Attachments

• durl2019eso1.jpg
    durl2019eso1.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 51
  • durl2019eso2.jpg
    durl2019eso2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 45
Very nice to see them. It is decades since we visited Dancing Ledge and found our first Early Spiders. Back then there were Late Spiders on the slopes above Folkstone. I wonder if they are still there.

Lee

Very nice to see them. It is decades since we visited Dancing Ledge and found our first Early Spiders. Back then there were Late Spiders on the slopes above Folkstone. I wonder if they are still there.

Lee

The LSOs are still there, but now having to be protected behind an electric fence.

It always cheers me to see this thread rekindled, good work Steve.

I’ll contribute when I can but it won’t be till mid-April earliest as I’m off on Friday on the Greenwings Orchid Odyssey to Rhodes, hosted by Jon Dunn. Thereafter I’ll be out and about in all the usual haunts!

Jeff Hodgson

It always cheers me to see this thread rekindled, good work Steve.

I’ll contribute when I can but it won’t be till mid-April earliest as I’m off on Friday on the Greenwings Orchid Odyssey to Rhodes, hosted by Jon Dunn. Thereafter I’ll be out and about in all the usual haunts!

Jeff Hodgson

I am sure no-one will mind a few photos of your best finds from Rhodes Jeff

Early Purple orchids just waking up in North Norfolk.

Attachments

• Early-Purple.jpg
    Early-Purple.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
A few years ago a Sawfly Orchid. Ophrys tenthedrenifera, was found in flower amongst the Early Spiders of Purbeck. It hasn't survived, and the evidence shows that it was of Italian origin - ssp grandiflora. The general consensus is that it was planted there and not a result of of an accident of nature. This year I noticed a hole dug into the turf at the 10 point GR for the plant. Had someone removed it because it was introduced. Equally, someone could have dug up an Early Spider.
But if that specimen had survived and set viable seed this is what we may have seen in that locality in a few years. Photographed 9th April, on the road to Pantalika Necropolis, Sicily

Attachments

• sawfly.jpg
    sawfly.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 89
The Green-winged Orchids are putting on a great show at GOP Hill this year. More in flower than I've seen before, and with a range of colours from pure white to deepest purple. They are all rather stunted, or perhaps I should say vertically challenged, due to the well grazed short turf. Downside was a heavy hailstorm curtailed our visit and spoiled a few photos.

Attachments

• Gop6.jpg
    Gop6.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 46
Highlights of my year #1

I wanted to find new orchid sites this year and so we looked at the OS Explorer maps for the N. Wales coast for potential places to visit. One turned out to be a small wooded dell beneath a hill with the inevitable hillfort near Llanddulas. It was crowded with Early Purple Orchids (or as they say in Germany Kuckucks Knabenkrauten). No pure white, but a range of colour from pale pink to deep purple. It's very gratifying to make such a discovery, even if it has been discovered before.

Attachments

• foel1.jpg
    foel1.jpg
    700.4 KB · Views: 31
  • foel2.jpg
    foel2.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 20
  • foel3.jpg
    foel3.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 17
  • foel4.jpg
    foel4.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
GOP HILL 5th MAY

Thank you Muba for directions what a place.
Primrose, Early Purple and Green-Winged Orchids.

Attachments

• DSC_3742.JPG
    DSC_3742.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_3748.jpg
    DSC_3748.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_3753.jpg
    DSC_3753.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_3771.JPG
    DSC_3771.JPG
    903.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_3780.jpg
    DSC_3780.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 18
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back