• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Butterfly and Moth sp. (1 Viewer)

Is anyone able to help with IDs in my blog post - https://burebirds.blogspot.com/2019/07/even-more-butterflies-and-dragonflies.html. There is an unidentified moth and a white butterfly which I have labelled as a Large White. I wrongly assumed all white butterflies were Large White until I found out there were four common species of white butterfly in the UK whilst browsing the web today.

Thanks for any help,
Louis

4 common species of white? I would say 3- Large, Small + Green-veined. Wood White is very local if that's your 4th?

Also in the white family Orange Tip (guess female could be a little confusing if seen in flight) + Brimstone but not confusable + Clouded Yellow as a regular migrant.

Thanks for the ID on the moth Lewis. As it turns out, I've seen one before which is one of only 10 or so moths I have ID'ed before.

On the website I looked at, Orange Tip was counted as one of the 4. I would hope they are easy to separate given their name. Clouded Yellow I've probably seen but that's another story.

Thanks,
Louis

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back