• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equivalent (1 Viewer)

barnetbirds

Hi All
Could someone explain what they mean by, when talking about lens, ''equivalent to 35mm''. I have a FZ38 and was thinking of getting a 1.7/2.2 teleconverter. Also if I did go for the TC would it give me that bit more of getting closer to the birds, I know it will but is there a 'downside'. And more importantly is it worth it!!
Many thanks
TC

I can answer the first part (or at least try): in the old days, SLR cameras were made for 35 mm film. Using that as a fixed back end, a 100 mm lens had a specific field of view, a 200 mm lens a smaller field of view so you had "zoomed in". On your FZ38, the sensor is much smaller, so the field of view of a given lens is different -- to make comparison easier, we use equivalent to say that this "X" zoom level corresponds to what a "Y" mm lens would have seen if it was placed on a 35 mm film camera.

A teleconverter "zooms in" or narrows the field of view further. A good, high quality one should be worth while, but I am not sure which one you are referring to.

Niels

Oh! so it goes back to the good ole' days. Thanks for that, I really did understand it.
The teleconverts I was looking at were the Pany lt55 1.7 or the Olympus tcont 1.7.
Took a pic of a Robin on our feeder this morning and thought 'would'nt it be nice if I could have got a little nearer!!
Thanks for the answer though Niels.
TC

Oh! so it goes back to the good ole' days. Thanks for that, I really did understand it.
The teleconverts I was looking at were the Pany lt55 1.7 or the Olympus tcont 1.7.
Took a pic of a Robin on our feeder this morning and thought 'would'nt it be nice if I could have got a little nearer!!
Thanks for the answer though Niels.
TC

I'll let you decide if you think it's worth getting a Teleconverter. I uploaded these two Robin (you mentioned a Robin |=)|) pictures recently; both taken using the TCON17. The EXIF data is included in all my pictures, but the bit that matters to you is the zoom, which was 696mm equivalent.

Oh, like most of my garden bird pictures, these were taken through double glazed windows. Also, I reduced the noise on the background as they were taken in poor light and with slow shutter speeds.

If you search the Gallery with "TCON17", you'll get an idea of what it's capable of. I've probably forgotten something, but I had no sleep last night, so my brain isn't working properly.|=)|

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/355561/ppuser/69033

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/355886/ppuser/69033

I told you I'd forget something.|=)|

I use the Panasonic FZ28, and the two Robin images are to show how much detail is possible with the TCON17. I think that's all I meant to add.

The Oly TCON 17 is a very popular TC, not just because its IQ is pretty good but because its a nice compromise between a 2x and 1.5x

What quite a few people dont realise is that the TCON 14B pro , which is 1.45x , is actually better ( tested ) rendering IQ than the 17.

I've used and still own 2 of these 14B's and and i prefer them, even though they have .25x less reach, which isnt a lot really

All these shot with an old Fuji FP S5600 + TCON 14B pro. I no longer have the Fuji

Attachments

• greylag3b.JPG
    greylag3b.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 62
  • greylag4b.JPG
    greylag4b.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 64
  • greylag5b.JPG
    greylag5b.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 60
  • greylag6b.JPG
    greylag6b.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 56
  • greylag7b.JPG
    greylag7b.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
More of the same combo

Attachments

• Blackbird.jpg
    Blackbird.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 70
  • CanadaGoose3b.JPG
    CanadaGoose3b.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 57
  • GCGrebe.jpg
    GCGrebe.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Goldfinch.jpg
    Goldfinch.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 60
  • SThrush.jpg
    SThrush.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 68
Hi All
Thanks so much for the replies.......
Chris....that Robin seems to be taking a bow after the first one!!
Musoman....A man after my own heart.....I love Ducks, at least they dont move as quick as birds!!
Thanks all. Will now go and see about prices!!
Terry

Cheers Terry, you comedian B :)

The 'ducks ' are Greylag Geese and they still belong to the same species ...birds :t:

Yep that LA3 is 55m thread, so its for the TCON 17. The TCON 14b Pro has 62mm rear thread

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back