• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron MM4 spotting scopes (1 Viewer)

PJ,

You really couldn't make a bad choice considering the scopes you were picking from. It is more of a matter of splitting hairs and personal preferences rather than a massive jump in performance. Enjoy the new scope. ;)

Just received an MM4 60 ED angled with an SDL v2 zoom but there does not appear to be any weather sealing between the scope and eyepiece which suggests that the combo would not be fully waterproof. Does anyone know if they are definitely weather sealed?

a j Steele,

To answer your questions, the HDF zoom is not waterproof while the SDL V2 is plus the SDL V2 is also advertised as being a hair sharper. The benefit to the HDF is that its size compliments the MM3 and MM4 scopes more so than the SDL V2.

You can get away with using a monopod with either scope...in fact I have taken it a step further and often put the 50 mm on a shoulder stock for real portability.

Hi,

I would expect the connection to be waterproof with the union nut tight. Also the body is usually sealed on its own. I have not tried it though.

Joachim

Just received an MM4 60 ED angled with an SDL v2 zoom but there does not appear to be any weather sealing between the scope and eyepiece which suggests that the combo would not be fully waterproof. Does anyone know if they are definitely weather sealed?

We have the mm4 and SDL zoom as a back up scope / low mag sea watch kit. It just took an absolute beating over the last winter. Snows horizontal and minus 30, wind driven volcanic sand, rain you had to be in to actually believe, and it delivered. Not once did it let the group down.

I did though have to add a sunshade made from a sigma 60mm lens hood. The only gripe.

The scope body itself is waterproof.

Any commentary on the MM4 50 vs the 60mm? I'm looking for a scope to take traveling with me, so initially favored the 50 due to it being smaller and lighter. But looking at the specs, the 60mm is only 2" longer and 4 oz heavier. My scope is a Kowa 88mm (hence me wanting a travel scope), and it's the only one I've ever used, so I have no experience with 50s or 60s. How much do you lose in going with the 50? Thanks for any input.

Hi,

in your case with a big scope on hand, I'd normally say 50, but of course the 60mm has almost 1/3 more area and thus you will get a brighter image at any given magnification plus the resolution is also going to go up as will the magnification with a given EP (the SDLv2 is warmly recommended.

If you can stow away the 60 in your travel luggage, get it. I always have my old 77 Kowa in the carry -on backpack along with cameras and bins.

Joachim

The 50mm-MM4 is substantial shorter, the prism-housing seems identical, so weight is close to the 60mm-version. But the weight and dimensxions of a 'big scope' (85+ mm) is much more. Look to my pictures in the Jülich-forum, where I described my decision for a low-weight scope relative to my DiaScope85 - but take care for a too light and undersized tripod and head.

good travelling
Manfred

but take care for a too light and undersized tripod and head.

good travelling
Manfred

Thanks for this input. What sort of tripod and head have you seen work well with this kind of scope? I'm currently working with a Slik CF tripod and Manfrotto 128rc head for my Kowa.

What sort of tripod and head have you seen work well with this kind of scope? I'm currently working with a Slik CF tripod and Manfrotto 128rc head for my Kowa.

I agree with Manfred that it's important not to go too light when choosing a tripod and head for these travelscopes. I initially bought a Vanguard VEO 2 265 for my MM4 60, but found that this only really works in very calm conditions. I now use a Gitzo Series 2 tripod & Sirui VA-5 head. The head is light, compact & well built, although the panning is not the smoothest. The Gitzo tripod is light yet stable; the only drawback is the collapsed size of 65cm (3 section tripod). I also have a large Kowa (TSN823) which I use with a Gitzo Series 3 Systematic and Manfrotto MVH500AH head; I used to use this head with my MM4, but although it is unquestionably better (smoother & more stable in the wind), I found that the bulk & weight somewhat negated the advantages of having a small scope. Although Gitzo tripods are very expensive new, with a bit of patience you can pick up used older models for half the price of a new one - I bought both of mine this way.

Also the Opticron-tripod (usable, came with the MM4) is only for very calm conditions (see my complete story of the decision in the Jülich-forum). Perhaps it 's because the leg angle of ~20°, the Gitzos are 23,5° - seems not much more, but it looks sturdier and it is sturdier (and much more €€…). Ok, the plate where the legs contact is also much bigger, and shurely some details are better than the opticron-tripod. In more than low wind, the combo also becomes little unstable if mag is more than 25x, because the weight with the 60mm is not very much - using a bag under the hook with a stone helps a lot.
3-section are better than four, but it depends on the use: if you're doing many hikes, the compact tripods are better for transport. But there's one material, that's better than the Gitzos: stargazing with the Miyauchi 100 with taking the tripod just right out of the car is only big fun with a Berlebach…

rock steady greetings
Manfred

I use an Induro CLT103 tripod with Manfrotto 700RC2 head. Plenty of support for my MM4 60. A used version of this tripod/head combo was listed for a long time in the Birdforum classifieds awhile back. Anyone interested should take a look to see if it is still available.

New Induro CLT103s are on sale currently for $275.

Last edited:
An optics industry product developer took one look at my old Diascope 65 mounted on a lightweight photographic tripod and said that it was a common mistake to mount a lighter scope on a light tripod. In his opinion the lighter the scope the more heavy the tripod should be to reduce vibration in windy conditions.

I pointed out that he was prioritising the quality of the view but that certainly with scopes smaller than 65mm the observer is prioritising portability.

He wasn't convinced but then again he never uses travel scopes.

Lee

An optics industry product developer took one look at my old Diascope 65 mounted on a lightweight photographic tripod and said that it was a common mistake to mount a lighter scope on a light tripod. In his opinion the lighter the scope the more heavy the tripod should be to reduce vibration in windy conditions.

I pointed out that he was prioritising the quality of the view but that certainly with scopes smaller than 65mm the observer is prioritising portability.

He wasn't convinced but then again he never uses travel scopes.

Lee

This was the conclusion I came to as well. For a while, I was questioning whether getting a travel scope had been the right choice given that it often required a heavier tripod and head to get a perfect view, thus negating its size & weight advantages. However, now that I also have an 82mm scope to complement it, I have a better appreciation of the MM4 60's strengths and weaknesses. I use the MM4 with my lighter tripod/head combination when I want to prioritise portability, and use the larger scope when I don't want to compromise on the quality of the view. I find the MM4 60 pretty much perfect in this role (it's the largest scope I have found that will still fit comfortably into a normal-sized camera bag), and it's still the one I turn to more often than not. I've just had to learn to compromise and be less concerned with getting a 'perfect' view.

Still no MM4 80 mm :-( . One can always dream. ;)

You can stop dreaming. Apparently there is a MM4 77 mm coming, the Opticron MM4 77 GA ED, 18x-54x with SDL v2 for €1278. Available from the second half of April 2019.

Diameter (mm): 77
Close Focus (mm): 5,5
Length (mm): 315
Weight (gr): 1248

Original Dutch review

Translated review (Google translate)

Conclusion

In short, Opticron has no competitor in this price range (1278 euros) with this telescope. I don't know of a better telescope for this money. In direct comparison with other (more expensive) telescopes with comparable specifications, the Opticron was lighter, smaller and often slightly sharper. Most telescopes in this quality class are larger and heavier and in terms of color image they usually cannot match this new telescope. Of course there are better telescopes. But if I also include the price, this is THE telescope for me with the best price / quality ratio. If you are looking for a serious telescope but do not have the budget to purchase a top telescope, definitely include this telescope in your comparison.

Attachments

• Opticron-MM4-77-Texel-018.jpg
    Opticron-MM4-77-Texel-018.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 320
Hello All, I am wondering if anyone has done a side by side comparison between MM4 50 vs GA665 Ed angled or straight ?? I am wondering to purchase either one of them. Any advice will be really be useful.

Thanks and regards Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back