• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No Leica discussion for two weeks? (1 Viewer)

I use the Leica suppied strap with mine. It's somewhat more narrow where it comes out of the pouch than the strap shown in these pictures. But the pictures illustrate nicely how it works. When you use the binoculars you hardly notice the pouch hanging under the binocular, it's so lightweight.
Bob

You're right Bob, the standard Leica strap works more elegantly with the pouch than the one shown. Actually, the strap shown is a hybrid of the Leica strap and an Optech. I did this to get quick releases so I can attach to pack straps directly, when desired.

I agree that the weight of the pouch hanging while in use is of little matter as it's very light. I just don't really use my binos that way and don't care to have extra doodads about as (for me) it's a bit fussy.

When I pick up my 8x32 BNs sometime after the holiday, I'm considering using them without a strap, just carry them in my coat pocket. Summertime I may use the strap.
JR

Last edited:
When I pick up my 8x32 BNs sometime after the holiday, I'm considering using them without a strap, just carry them in my coat pocket. Summertime I may use the strap.
JR

You never worry about dropping them?

That's why I keep strap on all of mine. And when passed a bin do a two handed "grab": one on the bins the other on the strap and immediatley loop the strap around my neck or shoulder (or something!).

Kevin: those attachment links are broken (and I'd like to see them). This web site elides long URLs so if you just copy the text (rather than copying the link) you get a boken URL. Been there. Done that. ;)

Last edited:
OK, got it fixed.
Yeah Kevin, I don't use them a lot without a strap, but occasionally. If I'm driving in a car I like to take the strap off sometimes. Knock wood, never dropped 'em.

Last edited:
I only thought about doing that after my last time trying them out for about and hour outside the shop. None of the bins had straps attached and I found myself putting the little BNs in my coat pocket, top loaded with snap down flap, to carry them in and out. They fit fine and seemed secure. Then I went hunting with my friend's son who has my old Leitz 7x35s. The strap dissapeared on these long ago, so he carries them in his coat pocket.

It just seems handy to me. My alternative is to sew a larger breast pocket on my outdoor coat, just big enough for the BNs, and carry them that way with the neck strap as a safety strap in case they fall out of my pocket. I remember I used to carry the slim 7x35s that way. I hate those harness things, a light weight, slim strap is much better, no strap is best of all.

With minis, I just use a tether. I hate straps on minis.
Here's how I do it... carefully size the loop so after putting your hand through it and twisting one rotation, the loop cannot easily slip past your hand.
Voila! You can't drop your bins.

4th pic shows the BNs with the short lengths connected. Pocketable!

Last pic shows an SLR with a tether

Attachments

• Tether1.jpg
    Tether1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Tether2.jpg
    Tether2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Tether3.jpg
    Tether3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 42
  • BN NoStrap.jpg
    BN NoStrap.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 51
  • XT Strap.jpg
    XT Strap.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
OK, you've convinced me. That forth pic looks great, that's what I'll do.

BTW, both you and the other Kevin have similar, low key personalities and I have to pay attention to the last name as I get you guys mixed up. Both of you are very reasonable and knowledgeable about bins, not that others aren't equally so.

Thanks,
John

While we are on this subject of the "pouch," by coincidence my Jan/Feb copy of "Birdwatcher's Digest" arrived in the mail today. At page 127 in the column "The Well Equipped Birder," written by Bill Thompson III is a photo and report on an item called BinoArmor. It's a neoprene wrap with top and bottom flaps made by Carson Optical and is designed to protect the binocular from water, dust and hard knocks. It fastens to the binocular with an elastic strap. You open the flaps and use the binocular; the flaps hang below the binocular. Thompson used it in Panama and found it useful. Here is a picture of it: http://www.buy.com/prod/carson-opti...ive-binocular-wrap/q/loc/17250/209118858.html Personally, I like the Leica Pouch better, but this seems like a useful and economical alternative.
Bob

Last edited:
At page 127 in the column "The Well Equipped Birder," written by Bill Thompson III is a photo and report on an item called BinoArmor. It's a neoprene wrap with top and bottom flaps made by Carson Optical and is designed to protect the binocular from water, dust and hard knocks. It fastens to the binocular with an elastic strap. You open the flaps and use the binocular; the flaps hang below the binocular. Thompson used it in Panama and found it useful.

This is it on the Carson Optical site

http://www.carsonoptical.com/Accessories/Lens_and_Screen_Care/191/BinoArmor™

It seems they don't make a 32mm sized version.

They have a Word doc describing which bins are compatible (i.e. the ones they've tried). They're a pretty typical cross section.

http://carsonoptical.com/assets/pdf/Compatible Bino Armor.doc

CARSON OPTICAL
JK SERIES 10 X 42
JK SERIES 8 X 42

BRUNTON
EPOCH 7.5 X 43

BUSHNELL
ELITE 8 X 43
LEGEND 8 X 42

CABELA’S
PINE RIDGE 10 X 42
ALASKAN GUIDE 10 X 42
XT 10 X 42

NIKON
BUCKMASTER 10 X 36
DREAMSEASON 8 X 36
DREAMSEASON 10 X 36
MONARCH 8 X 42

LEUPOLD
CASCADE 10 X 42
GOLD RING 8 X 42

PENTAX
8 X 43 DCF SP

STEINER
MERLIN 8 X 42
MERLIN 10 X 42
PREDATOR 10 X 42

SWAROVSKI
EL 10 X 42
SLC 10 X 42

ZEISS
CONQUEST 10 X 42

The given (external?) dimensions are: 7 1/2 in x 5 1/2 in.

Given the EL (6.2 x 4.8 in), Pentax SP 8x43 (5.7 x 5.0 in) and the Conquest ABK (5.6 x 4.5 in) fit then I suspect any 40ish mm roofs smaller than 6ish" x 5ish" will probably work (but don't blame me ... YMMV ... void where prohibited ... no warranty implied ;) )

Just what is the BinoArmor supposed to protect the binos from? Other than maybe rock climbing with binos hanging around your neck (unlikely), it just seems unnecessary.

I've yet to imagine why I would need any sort of case (attached) in the field. A rain (ocular) cover and maybe even lens (objective) caps during foul weather OK, but this back and forth with a case?

I'm not trying to be flip here, I honestly don't understand.

Last edited:
Just what is the BinoArmor supposed to protect the binos from? Other than maybe rock climbing with binos hanging around your neck (unlikely), it just seems unnecessary.

I've yet to imagine why I would need any sort of case (attached) in the field. A rain (ocular) cover and maybe even lens (objective) caps during foul weather OK, but this back and forth with a case?

I'm not trying to be flip here, I honestly don't understand.

Thompson states that he finds rain guards "awkward or obtrusive to use." So he doesn't keep them on except during travel while in their travel case. This item takes just seconds to put on the binocular. He used it for a week in the rain forests of Panama and also on a rainy field trip to W. Va and simply flopped the top flap and draped it over the oculars to protect them from the rain noting that it added no noticeable weight or bulk to the binoculars.

He did add that the top and bottom flaps are held together by magnets, which may affect pacemakers, cell phones and I-pods. He also noted that the flaps are too short to overlap if he extended the eye cups on his 10 x 42's (brand not identified) when he tried to close the pouch, but would work on a shorter binocular.
Bob

Thanks Bob,
I, um (smiling here) understand what you've said, and I did watch the video on the maker's site, but remain curious.

A couple of questions come to mind...

How is this thing better than say, a shower cap on a string? The shower cap, at least, will fit OK whether the eyecups are extended or not.

If it is raining and the flap is dangling from the bins, won't the inside of the flap get wet? If it gets wet won't it then drip onto the oculars?

Thompson says he finds rain covers awkward. I don't attach mine to the strap so when removed it can easily go into a pocket where it not only stays dry but is out of my way. To each their own but I'm again curious to imagine how this is more trouble than these flaps hanging from your bins. One other point... if you're in really foul weather as in hard rain and/or driving wind it seems that a conventional rain guard will positively keep water out whereas "the flap" looks as though it might have less integrity. And just how do those flaps react on a windy day?

Please understand that I'm not trying to be argumentative but as you might conclude, I won't be buying one these things. |=\|

Last edited:
Well, to each his own, I agree. I'm not getting one either. I like the Leica pouch and most rainguards don't bother me. Even Leica's rainguard, which is quite big and very protective, is OK. The lightweight, inexpensive ones that Eagle sells are fine, as far as I am concerned. I'd rather have them on than stuff the binocular inside my already overstuffed shirt or jacket.B :)

But, you have to admit that the BinoArmor is custom made for binoculars, while shower caps are made for one's head!;)

Bob

The imported South American naughyde is not early as good as that you can get from the Bachman's Nauga now mostly found in burrows around Naugatuck, in New Haven County in rural Western Connecticut.

It's one of the rare miniture American arborial deer so it's more often seen by birders than hunters.

Don't get me started on the Dusky Seaside Velcro.

Or the Carolina Esters. You need a lot of Esters to make polyester.

It's all well documented ...

http://www.nauga.com/history.html

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back